Let the sparge begin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Latamir

Reaction score
I want to make sure I do this right so I am going to explain what I am thinking I have to do and you guys correct me.
I am doing my first sparge next weekend, so took a nice clean ice chest built a CPVC tube square with small slots (not big enough for grain) and a spigot that will hook to my wort chiller and which will be in cold ice water.
Here is the steps the way I think it should be done by what I have read and seen on you tube.
1. Heat 5 gallons of water to 160 and put in cooler and let sit for 30 mins to temper the chest.

2. Add grain, stir, and let sit for 30- 45 mins

3. Draw out the spigot some wort and add it back to the top until it runs clear from filtering through the grain using a pan with holes in the bottom so the splashing will not disturb the grain bed

This is where I get some confusion

4. Run into a pot then adding hot water to the top to get as much wort as you can until it runs almost clear, basically rinsing the grains?

5. Boil wort and continue the brew process as normal
:drunk:

Yes, after step 3 (the vorlauf) you will collect as much wort as you can, this will be your first runnings which you put into your boil kettle. Then you add your sparge water at whatever temp (usually 170 if you are mashing out), stir, cover and let sit for ~10min. Then you drain your mash tun again and collect your second runnings which are added to the boil kettle. If you did not reach your desired preboil volume by then you can always do another sparge.

I miss typed sorry 170 ish was the temp i ment to type. I will be brewing an Irish red and and Oatmeal stout. Also, making some mead, cider, and Soda of course thats not using the same methods.. lol

Back