Lemon Verbena mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello All,
My neighbor makes a blackberry and lemon verbena jam and it's delicious. She wants me to make a session mead modeled after the jam.

So I was thinking of making a session mead with about 2lb of blackberry/blueberry per gallon to a gravity of maybe 1.050-60. Then back sweetening to about 1.006-8. Kegging then bottle pasteurizing.

I want to add the lemon verbena after fermentation is dying down, along with the crushed/pureed fruit. I'm old school and like to have my ingredients hang out together as long as possible. In the meantime, I'll make a verbena tincture to adjust at bottling time.

Since I have never worked with lemon verbena, any ballpark recommendations as to how much to add (weight per gallon)? I think I'll be making a 3 gallon batch since it's a bit experimental.

Also, I may not have a chance to make this for a month or so. Can I freeze the leaves, or should I dehydrate them? My preference would be to freeze the fresh leaves, because I'm lazy.

I've never used lemon verbena for mead. But it does make a great tea. We typically just let the leaves air dry for few days then store them in a metal tin....

I would try making both a vodka tincture with fresh leaves and a strong tea with dried leaves to see which gives you the most pronounced flavor and aroma.

Maybe a quarter cup loosely packed fresh leaves to a cup of vodka? Macerated for a week or two?

For the tea perhaps a couple tablespoons of crushed dried leaves steeped in a couple cups of boiled water for 5-10 minutes?

It's more aromatic than flavorful, in my opinion... So it might take more if you're looking to get pronounced flavor... How much does she use in her jam?

I've never used lemon verbena for mead. But it does make a great tea. We typically just let the leaves air dry for few days then store them in a metal tin....

I would try making both a vodka tincture with fresh leaves and a strong tea with dried leaves to see which gives you the most pronounced flavor and aroma.

Maybe a quarter cup loosely packed fresh leaves to a cup of vodka? Macerated for a week or two?

For the tea perhaps a couple tablespoons of crushed dried leaves steeped in a couple cups of boiled water for 5-10 minutes?

It's more aromatic than flavorful, in my opinion... So it might take more if you're looking to get pronounced flavor... How much does she use in her jam?
Thanks Jtratcliff
Yes I may end up doing a tea like you described and using that as my water. I came across a recipe for a cold verbena tea drink and they mentioned using mint leaves to punch up the flavor of the lemon verbena. I may try fooling around with that as well since we have an abundance of mint in our garden.

It'll be a bit until I get around to this mead but I will report back.

Latest posts

Back