Updated recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I posted a recipe I adapted to a melomel recipe, and using a batch maker as per a reccomendation I updated the recipe for 4 gallons

12.2 lb honey for primary (orange blossom)
32 oz for backsweetening
7.6 g fermaid k
14.4 g fermaid o to initial must and another 14.4 g after 48 hours
Goferm to the yeast mixture (20g) to 16 g yeast and 500 ml water (rc212)
I want to add blueberries to secondary give or take 8 lb?
Lemon juice to primary 1.5 cups
Kind of unsure about the amount of lemon juice and how much blueberries to use. Also kind of looking for a timeline for this melomel.

Last edited:
What yeast are you planning to use?

Lemon juice in primary might not be a good idea. pH is important its best to start your ferment between 3.5 and 4.5 pH. Honey and spring water often falls about there. Lemon juice will lower your pH and the ferment drives it lower as well. Too low a pH when starting your ferment could cause it too stall. I would add lemon juice a little at a time to taste after secondary.

Blueberries in secondary is a good idea. Consider freezing them and thawing prior. Blueberries can add some astringent flavors if left too long. I find they give up all their flavor in about 10 to 14 days. 8 pounds in 4 gallons should give you kind of a medium flavor profile. But we all taste flavors a bit differently. Taste it every couple of days and pull them when it hits the flavor profile your looking for. You can always add more if needed.

As far as how long it will take depends on a lot of factors. Yeast, temperature nutrients, pH etc. I would suggest you monitor it with a hydrometer periodically. Rack to secondary under 1.010 add your fruit and let it finish. Then age a good bit.

Lemon juice in primary might not be a good idea. pH is important its best to start your ferment between 3.5 and 4.5 pH. Honey and spring water often falls about there. Lemon juice will lower your pH and the ferment drives it lower as well. Too low a pH when starting your ferment could cause it too stall. I would add lemon juice a little at a time to taste after secondary.

Blueberries in secondary is a good idea. Consider freezing them and thawing prior. Blueberries can add some astringent flavors if left too long. I find they give up all their flavor in about 10 to 14 days. 8 pounds in 4 gallons should give you kind of a medium flavor profile. But we all taste flavors a bit differently. Taste it every couple of days and pull them when it hits the flavor profile your looking for. You can always add more if needed.

As far as how long it will take depends on a lot of factors. Yeast, temperature nutrients, pH etc. I would suggest you monitor it with a hydrometer periodically. Rack to secondary under 1.010 add your fruit and let it finish. Then age a good bit.

Using rc212 or 71b what do you think?

Lemon juice in primary might not be a good idea. pH is important its best to start your ferment between 3.5 and 4.5 pH.
I second this. I would likely add juice in secondary. Zest peels in primary are probably OK.

Using rc212 or 71b what do you think?
RC212 is great for RED fruits, not purple. Cherry, Red grapes, red currant, raspberry. I would use the 71B.

Back