Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed 1/2 batch of this earlier today (3G) and adjusted the hop additions to hit the IBUs listed in the recipe rather than keep the weights. I'm just now seeing the OP's response to my question, oh well.

Realistically, I don't know how much difference the 6-7 IBUs will make (I'm at the target 11.9 rather than the 17.8 it would have been if I kept the weights).
If it doesn't come out to my liking I can always re-brew since the hop additions were so small that there is plenty left over.

And SWMBO is excited about this one, which is the most important thing.

Sorry this beer did not work for you. I design my recipes with a certain expectation that people have a fair amount of brewing knowledge, but what they lack can be compensated with through a PM or a post in this thread.
In regards to yeast, the expectation is that you use a yeast calculator to determine how much yeast to pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have a fair amount of brewing knowledge, but what I'm saying is there is a lot left for interpretation. Because of that, my results will definitely vary from your original recipe.

The beer is good, and will get drank. It just wasn't what I was expecting, but I don't think it was your recipe. I should've done my calculations prior to brewing. The biggest thing was the efficiency. Mine was way higher than the original recipe causing me to have more wort. I'm sure that's the culprit.

I'm pretty positive if i had added more limeaid, it would've been better.

It's literally has zero lime flavor. But the grapefruit version is definitely there, and that's because I lost 1.5gal of it.

I did calculate my yeast and made a starter, but reading through these posts (I read almost all of them) you claimed to have used a single vile... So again, different results I guess.

I've got this recipe in the primary now and was wandering if the limeade needs to be room temp or can I add it cold. Thanks

Mine(extract) came out a little darker and with some bubble gum flavors on the back end.
This is my first full pour of this brew. I shared one with a couple guys after about seven days in the bottle and it was a little sour. I kind of dug it.
It's not what I was expecting based on what others had said but it's not bad. I did make a couple mods to the recipe but I think the next batch will be followed to the T.
Carb was good initially but subsided quickly, mouthfeel great, subtle lime.
I'll probably be making this again before too long.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398911470.784765.jpg

Brewed this up yesterday and it is now happily bubbling away. I made a few small changes so I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Grains:
6 lbs 2-row
4 lbs white wheat malt
1 lbs vienna
.5 lbs rice hulls
.25 lbs acid malt (for water profile)

hops:
.25 cascade @ 60min
.25 sarachi ace @ 20min
.25 cascade @ 20min
.75 sarachi ace @ 7min

I zested a lime, but of course I forgot to use it. Overall, everything went really well. I won't be using limeade. I am going to juice 6-8 limes and pasteurize them on the stove and add them in once the krauzen starts to fall. I got 79.6% brewhouse efficiency and am ending up with 5.5 gallons of beer. Hopefully I don't loose too much through the blowoff hose, but I am monitoring temps and we'll see.

I made a starter and this thing took off. I started seeing some bubbling through the hose and a krauzen within the first hour and a half. It smells amazing and I can't wait to taste this brew. Thankfully, it shouldn't be too long seeing as this bad boy is a hefe!

Well good news...

I'm now detecting a hint of lime in the LL version. I kegged both versions and let them sit in the fridge for a couple weeks. I haven't drank much more than a few samples, but this afternoon when I tried it, I could detect a hint.

Made this beer last Sunday. Went ok. Had some serious cooling issues (94 degrees out). Got it down below 80 and pitched wlp300. Added some yeast nutrient at flameout. This thing took off and pretty much got down to FG in like 3 days. Never used hefeweizen yeast before. That yeast eats the hell out of some sugars. Drew a sample last night. Light color, light and refreshing. Can't wait to carb it up and sit by the pool. Thanks for the recipe.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399123160.915460.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

After 3 weeks fermentation & a week bottled this beer is great. I made substitutions on hops, yeast and used Simply lemonade instead of Limeade. In fact, it's good enough that I ordered this recipes correct hops & yeast to brew my very next batch.

Bought the ingredients for an extract version of this. Tweaked the volumes a little bit in order to make it easier to measure out, and will be using WLP 300 since the LHBS didn't have the 380. Will post pictures once it is ready! Looking forward to cracking one open!

Using falconer in place of sorachi ace. Hope this works. NB says it's a substitute for sorachi ace.

Nothing is a sub for Sorachi Ace

Where do u buy it? I found it on hoptech, but the shipping was $15 and I can't get all the ingredients from them so I have to make another purchase from another supplier.

I google search it or amazon, but I'm sure you can get it far cheaper than that.....Sorachi Ace is the lemon head of beer hops....nothing else comes close!

Where do u buy it? I found it on hoptech, but the shipping was $15 and I can't get all the ingredients from them so I have to make another purchase from another supplier.

Morebeer has it for around $2 an ounce

My LHBS had Sorachi Ace in stock, didn't have the Motueka in stock so I substituted Sterling for it. Brewed it Saturday morning (my first All Grain) and the sample I took tasted DELICIOUS. I did do things a little differently based on necessity. I thought I had limes in the fridge but I didn't. So while it was cooling in the bath tub I ran out and got some. Zested, juiced, and boiled 3 limes, the leftover wort from the grains that were resting in a bucket, and 4 cups of water for 5 minutes. Strianed and added into the cooled wort before pitching.

A couple questions I have because I don't feel like reading 100+ pages.

Should I have the Lime-Aid at room temp before putting it in?

What kind of gravity does the Lime-Aid add?

Will cold crashing clear it up at all?

So since it's a hefe, drink right outta the bottle like any other hefe? Or pour to glass like most homebrew and discard the layer on bottom?

Pour 2/3rds into a glass then swirl the last bit and pour it in the glass.

Why is it we drink the bottom in a hefe but not others?

It is the style. The yeast contribute a great deal to the flavor. You want to taste the yeast, as apposed to a pale ale for example where you want a cleaner fermentation

Limeade at room temp, about 0.05 added alcohol content....never cold crash a hef....I always remove the true from my beers, so that I don't get gassy and so that I can wash my yeast, however purest may want some of it!

My LHBS had Sorachi Ace in stock, didn't have the Motueka in stock so I substituted Sterling for it. Brewed it Saturday morning (my first All Grain) and the sample I took tasted DELICIOUS. I did do things a little differently based on necessity. I thought I had limes in the fridge but I didn't. So while it was cooling in the bath tub I ran out and got some. Zested, juiced, and boiled 3 limes, the leftover wort from the grains that were resting in a bucket, and 4 cups of water for 5 minutes. Strianed and added into the cooled wort before pitching.

A couple questions I have because I don't feel like reading 100+ pages.

Should I have the Lime-Aid at room temp before putting it in?

What kind of gravity does the Lime-Aid add?

Will cold crashing clear it up at all?

Ya, What Ale's Ya is pretty awesome..... ;)

Just kegged my batch, hydro sample was mighty tasty. Wlp320 I used turned out to be like a cloudy wlp001, no banana or clove flavors at all just like the other plain wheat batch I did with it. Might turn out to be a good thing with this beer though.

Mine has only been fermenting for 9 days at this point.....I'm so intrigued by this one I was tempted to cut the fermentation short but I'm going to let it ride for three weeks as directed.

I'm guessing the long fermentation is because the LimeAde changes the acidity of the wort which slows down the yeast? Or is there another reason? I haven't fermented anything for that long in quite a while.

Just won a gold medal with this base recipe, few fruit tweaks (added zests of grapefruit and lemon) and Wyeast Kolsch as the workhorse. 20A Fruit Beer category. 4 month old sample as well.

Didn't get the Best of Show or ProAm tho :(

My girlfriend finally had a glass of the grapefruit version. She said it's her favorite beer that I've ever brewed. It's like a dry version of squirt.

My girlfriend finally had a glass of the grapefruit version. She said it's her favorite beer that I've ever brewed. It's like a dry version of squirt.

Does it still taste like a beer?

Back