Legal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna open a big can of worms.

Let's say I have a friend who wants to start a beer share with a few coworkers and friend. My friend would charge $3 per 22oz bomber of beer. He would deliver beer maybe once every two weeks.

Why does my friend want to do this?
-It would get him out of the house and away from kids for a bit during this boring ass pandemic.
-He would be able to brew more often. He doesn't drink nearly enough to justify more than one batch every two months.
-A good way to introduce others to little known styles such as; English IPA, leichtbier and others
-A good way to say hi (from a distance) to friends

At 3 bucks per bomber, the idea is to cover the cost of ingredients, materials, co2, gas for car, bottles etc. and NOT to make any profit.

Is my "friend" doing anything illegal? The way I see it, it's no different than having a neighbor or friend pitch in and cover part of the cost for ingredients in exchange for beer.
Again, my friend does not want to profit, just looking for a way to escape and do something different during lockdown.

Is my "friend" doing anything illegal?

Yes.

The way I see it, it's no different than having a neighbor or friend pitch in and cover part of the cost for ingredients in exchange for beer.

Yes. And that's illegal.

Again, my friend does not want to profit, just looking for a way to escape and do something different during lockdown.

Makes no difference if he makes a profit or not.

Nope, not legal. He's selling alcohol and he needs to have a licence from the government and pay all kinds of taxes on his product before it can be sold. Profit is irrelevant in this situation.
But.....if he gave away the bombers of beer and his buddies showed up at his house with some steaks for a cookout, THAT would be legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back