legal or illegal maybe just not right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it hard to believe that it could be legal anywhere to point a camera into someone else's private property. Regardless of anything else, you still have rights. With that in mind I would go see the local police and insist they come out, take a look, and deal with the situation.

This is really the best option - anything else is going to be a case of tit-for-tat and if you smash the camera the neighbour will have documented evicdence of you doing so, you will become the bad-guy.

sounds like a small town, as long as cops arent dicks, I would involve them. I own a soap making business(not doing it much anymore) but I have lye. Had a neighborhood punk ask for lye cuz he was making beer????? Too stupid to realize lye= soap hops,grain = beer. I did let local cops know about his request. Also gave bars of soap when they were looking at me weird when I explained why I had the lye. Later they caught him making meth and he no longer is around!!! The idea of under 18 kids around being photographed could get him in some serious trouble, so if ya have any put em to use.

I handled a lawsuit that arose out of a neighbor dispute that started over excessive backyard lighting. Went tit-for-tat and ended up with the neighbor using a camcorder to record into my client's house (and directly into an upstairs bathroom).

I live in Southern Illinois (South of I-64 /chuckle) and the judge used the "what possible excuse could your client have" school of law when talking to the camera owner's lawyer. This is a CLEAR violation of your right to privacy, and even worse if it films any part of the interior of your house through a patio door or window. Had Order to take down the camera entered within 10 days of filing for injunction.

Doesn't matter if your a three timer or not, you still have a right to privacy.

Good luck.

a New York Law

New York's privacy law prohibits surreptitious visual surveillance for the purpose of amusement, profit, abuse, sexual gratification or for "no legitimate purpose," in any place where a person has a reasonable expectation of privacy and without that person's knowledge and consent. However, the state makes an exception to for permissible video surveillance with a "security system wherein a written notice is conspicuously posted on the premises stating that a video surveillance system has been installed for the purpose of security or video surveillance devices installed in such a manner that their presence is clearly and immediately obvious."

NY PENAL § 250.45; NY PENAL § 250.65

I will be seeing a Lawyer this week my lawyer retired but his granddaughter is in the business so I will call her

the law above I believe applies

"no legitimate purpose," is what will do them in

S_M

A motion sensing security light is what I would do. Lights toward the camera, IR sensor pointing the same direction as the camera. Every time the camera starts to record the lights come on.

I do have a security camera system in place, a week or so ago we came home and reviewed a recording from when we were away

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPGxvVTDGWI[/ame]

go in about 2 minutes and the neighbor is slamming the corner of my page wire fence with the bucket on her tractor

my wife talked to a sheriff and was told the lady was nice, she was sorry if she may have hit my fence and that was the end of it

S_M

Do you have a pool or something in your backyard? Maybe they're trying to get pics of your teenage daughter and friends around the pool. (That actually happened in Kentucky, only it was a drone. Homeowner shot it out of the sky with a shotgun.) My guess is, given your previous run in with them, that they still think you're making speed, or doing something illegal, and are trying to gather proof of it.

Try this. Go to Lowes or Home Depot, or get on Amazon, buy a really powerful spotlight, aim light right at camera. Now all they'll get is pics of a really bright light.

I like this idea.

A person has no expectation of privacy from surveillance conducted from a public space (e.g., roads, parks, etc.). But surveillance from private land is different, and the NY statute you posted reflects that. Contact an attorney to get advice as to the best move.

You have two choices, you let John law deal with it or you can it is really that simple. If you deal with it the old saying that there is many ways to skin this cat comes to mind. If I was a felon I wouldn't want the police around as they know that you are a felon and probably won't give him a break or might side with the camera guy. :mug:

I do have a security camera system in place, a week or so ago we came home and reviewed a recording from when we were away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPGxvVTDGWI

go in about 2 minutes and the neighbor is slamming the corner of my page wire fence with the bucket on her tractor

my wife talked to a sheriff and was told the lady was nice, she was sorry if she may have hit my fence and that was the end of it

S_M

Pretty sure that's a dude in a wig.

56699_a51c4df9970193312635c4cfb0cf9aab.jpg

Hang something like this to block the view of the camera.

Your neighbor's actions disgust me. If this was me I would be worried what my friends and family would say or do to them after they found out about this. What were they thinking doing something like this? Wrong in all sorts of ways. Damn, I wish we were neighbors! Would have a brewing and ska buddy!

Seems like you have it figured out, though. Props for your actions.

My Advice, just KEEP ON SKANKIN' !!!

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...PrOAhUP1GMKHS4TDn0QMwhVKB4wHg&iact=mrc&uact=8

my first approach would be to go speak with the neighbor. escalating the situation to the authorities before having a conversation could have additional repercussions. if you are not comfortable with that or they are unresponsive, take it to the law. speaking with a lawyer first isn't a bad idea either.

as much fun as it would be to jag around with the guy, need to take the high road here, especially if a convicted felon.

OP

I think you should take down your intrusive camera that looks into your neighbor's yard violating their privacy.

That's pretty bad form in my book.

I would not like a camera pointed at my space, least of all from a neighbor.

You're concerned about a neighbor's camera facing your property yet you have one facing theirs?

my neighbors house is 650 feet from any camera of mine

I am watch my property lines and making sure things behind my stockade do not get abuse

as in the video

but my neighbor's camera is pointing into my fenced in barnyard taking photo of my building's doorways and inside

I believe I have a legitimate purpose and they have no legitimate purpose

but I do see your point

S_M

OP

I think you should take down your intrusive camera that looks into your neighbor's yard violating their privacy.

That's pretty bad form in my book.

I would not like a camera pointed at my space, least of all from a neighbor.

which camera is that my friend the one the shows my property line with the women beating my fence with her bucket on her tractor?

their house is 650 feet form that camera

or the one that is pointed over my stockade fence in to my fenced in yard?

all the best

S_M

Just saying, if a 3 time convicted felon moved in next door to me? Not sure what crimes you were convicted of (and none of my business), but you gave away certain rights with the first conviction let alone a third.

which camera is that my friend the one the shows my property line with the women beating my fence with her bucket on her tractor?

their house is 650 feet form that camera

or the one that is pointed over my stockade fence in to my fenced in yard?

all the best

S_M

The one that took a video of your neighbor in her yard that you shared with folks on the internet. That's the one I'd take down.

Which camera was erected first? Your's or your neighbor's. My guess is the former.

Your post just strikes me as a snapshot in time in the middle of a surveillance tit-for-tat.

It is conceivable that your neighbor may have some privacy concerns of her own.

Just saying, if a 3 time convicted felon moved in next door to me? Not sure what crimes you were convicted of (and none of my business), but you gave away certain rights with the first conviction let alone a third.

first off I have lived in this town for 20 years and they moved in four years ago

I did my time and paid my debt

I am now a network engineer for a Fortune 500 company

I did give away some rights indeed but I do not believe one of them is a right to privacy

all the best

S_M

He gave away ZERO rights. Obviously he is not incarcerated and whatever he did, his debt has been paid. Seriously, what an ignorant statement to make. Maybe you like to know about new neighbors who move to your neighborhood. Who knows? Maybe you're his next door neighbor making a case for yourself. Either way, he is entitled to ALL of his rights. How would you feel if somebody posted a camera pointed into your backyard/fenced in area? Regardless of your past legal history, I'm sure you'd be pissed off.

to me, it looks like brew_ny's camera points down the property line, looking at the fence. i don't really see anything wrong with that, there is bound to be some of the neighbor's property in that view. unless you could angle the camera somehow to totally exclude their property but that doesn't make for the best viewing, sort of defeats the purpose of the camera.

looks like the neighbor's camera is perpendicular to your property line? if so, seems like it serves no other purpose than to look at you.

I agree she more then likely would have way more fun beating my page wire fence to death

I watched the video. Not sure what you saw, but to me it looked like she was try to shore up your fence that was leaning towards her property. Granted she's not the best at pushing a post in the ground with a bucket, but I'd give her a B+ for effort.

He gave away ZERO rights. Obviously he is not incarcerated and whatever he did, his debt has been paid. Seriously, what an ignorant statement to make. Maybe you like to know about new neighbors who move to your neighborhood. Who knows? Maybe you're his next door neighbor making a case for yourself. Either way, he is entitled to ALL of his rights. How would you feel if somebody posted a camera pointed into your backyard/fenced in area? Regardless of your past legal history, I'm sure you'd be pissed off.

I'm not going to get in a pissing match with you because we will end up with web cams facing each other. As I said, I have no idea what crimes he committed, but 3 times convicted felon is a lot different than a one. Some states have 3 strikes your out laws. And I disagree, when you've committed felonies 3 times, meh, you've taken yourself out of being able to cry my rights are being violated.

I watched the video. Not sure what you saw, but to me it looked like she was try to shore up your fence that was leaning towards her property. Granted she's not the best at pushing a post in the ground with a bucket, but I'd give her a B+ for effort.

the stuff leaning toward her property her fence but my fence is six inches off my line

so when she is hitting my fence you would think that might be trespassing

but who know

S_M

I'm not going to get in a pissing match with you because we will end up with web cams facing each other. As I said, I have no idea what crimes he committed, but 3 times convicted felon is a lot different than a one. Some states have 3 strikes your out laws. And I disagree, when you've committed felonies 3 times, meh, you've taken yourself out of being able to cry my rights are being violated.

my friend to say I am crying about anything only shows you do not know at all

but from your thinking if it was someone and because this someone may be lily white without sin

it would be wrong

but because 30 years ago I had some problems

I just need to suck it up

I get your train of thought

S_M

Back