legal or illegal maybe just not right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you've told her this, right?

I tried to tell her and her husband four years ago where my survey stakes are

I have my map filed with the county years ago

I was told by her that she worked for a surveyor and that my lines are wrong

but they have made no effort to survey in four year

so go figure eh?

S_M

my friend to say I am crying about anything only shows you do not know at all

but from your thinking if it was someone and because this someone may be lily white without sin

it would be wrong

but because 30 years ago I had some problems

I just need to suck it up

I get your train of thought

S_M

I know nothing about your situations and said as much. If i offended you then it is to you I apologize. But to the idiots who are giving you advise to break the laws in this situation, I am sure you know better.

my neighbors house is 650 feet from any camera of mine

I am watch my property lines and making sure things behind my stockade do not get abuse

as in the video

but my neighbor's camera is pointing into my fenced in barnyard taking photo of my building's doorways and inside

I believe I have a legitimate purpose and they have no legitimate purpose

but I do see your point

S_M

Did you put your camera up first? It looks like it is looking directly into their yard, not at the line. Sounds like they are playing a "tit for tat" game that you started, even if you see a distinction between your camera and theirs.

If your wife says the neighbor is reasonable, maybe you could just have a discussion about your expectations around the lines and agree to both get rid of the cameras. If you don't think you can have a civil conversation about it, maybe write them a letter.

I know nothing about your situations and said as much. If i offended you then it is to you I apologize. But to the idiots who are giving you advise to break the laws in this situation, I am sure you know better.

no worries my friend and if breaking the law was good idea I would have done just that four years ago

hell I could buy myself a new Harley Davidson and a Eastwing ball peen hammer end of story

hell I would have better odds at a jury trial (12 to 1) then at power ball

but in the end I will try to do it by legal means

without laws we are nothing more the beasts in the field

S_M

the one that took the video is looking down my line

the one looking over the stockade is theirs

all the best

S_M

In the video, about half the screen is taken up by the area enclosed by fences where the lady is driving around the blue tractor. If she is driving around her property and you can see her, that means your camera is pointed at her property, even if your intention is to monitor your line. You both need to point your cameras straight down, or better yet, get rid of them.

Ok, people, let's try to not jump at conclusions here.

IMO it may be lawful to set up a camera facing your property line and there is some overlap with your neighbor's property. You may have a legit reason by claiming to watch for trespassers. I doubt it's legal to point a camera over a fence and directly into a neighbor's yard. Even Police Officers might not know the details, though. That's why we still have lawyers after all these years. We can assume all we want, but there have been many instances where common sense is not what they law says. Best to ask the experts.

OP, there are many cases where property lines are recorded erroneously. Yours may be such a case. But if your neighbor wants to dispute it, then they will have to pay someone to survey before they can even think about disputing any boundaries. Of course you know this, and you know they haven't a leg to stand on until they do. Apparently they aren't terribly concerned or they would have put their money where their mouth is.

I'm not going to get in a pissing match with you because we will end up with web cams facing each other. As I said, I have no idea what crimes he committed, but 3 times convicted felon is a lot different than a one. Some states have 3 strikes your out laws. And I disagree, when you've committed felonies 3 times, meh, you've taken yourself out of being able to cry my rights are being violated.

Wow. Just... wow.

To put this in some context, in some states you could be theoretically be convicted of three felonies by stealing a fire extinguisher, while having any amount of a controlled substance (like pot) on you at the time of doing so, and being in possession of someone's (other than yourself) drivers license.

Other notable felonies in my wonderful home state:

Molesting a stone/blue crab trap, owning a still (as in moonshine or similar), unlawfully reproducing a trade secret, bigamy....there are a bunch more fun ones.

Point is, not all felons are significant threats to society.

So OP, how many crab traps did you molest?

here in Illinois, you are NOT allowed to put up a camera and have it point to other peoples private property. Only public (intentionally).

as that camera is a Motion Activated camera, (supposed to used for hunting, and the resolution is not great,) It is in direct violation or your "Expected privacy". Take a picture of your yard, print it out, tape it to a board and hang it in front of the camera. Then go to civil court, file the paperwork, choose a monetary amount and have him served.

Then if he still does not take down the camera, talk to a lawyer at that time. (or before hand). but it's a Civil case, not a criminal I think. But as always, check with your lawyer.

From the looks of the pic and video two different things are going on. In the video, the camera is pointed at his property, and it just happens to cover part of the neighbors property. It would be impossible to aim a camera down your property line, and it not cover part of the other person's property. I do have some experience with cameras. It's kinda hard, if not impossible, to point a camera at anything where it's not going to cover part of other people's property. Unless you buy every acre as far as your eye can see and mount the camera in the middle of that area. The camera in the first pic posted by the OP is different. It, from appearances, is intentionally aimed in a direction to record OP's property and only OP's property. It's hard to be 100% certain in either case unless you're on site and can see things first hand.

I would add that I thought these hillbilly Okies around here could be some nosy ass busy bodies. You New Yorkers got em beat.

From the looks of the pic and video two different things are going on. In the video, the camera is pointed at his property, and it just happens to cover part of the neighbors property. It would be impossible to aim a camera down your property line, and it not cover part of the other person's property. I do have some experience with cameras. It's kinda hard, if not impossible, to point a camera at anything where it's not going to cover part of other people's property. Unless you buy every acre as far as your eye can see and mount the camera in the middle of that area. The camera in the first pic posted by the OP is different. It, from appearances, is intentionally aimed in a direction to record OP's property and only OP's property. It's hard to be 100% certain in either case unless you're on site and can see things first hand.

I would add that I thought these hillbilly Okies around here could be some nosy ass busy bodies. You New Yorkers got em beat.

How come most of what is visible in the video is what appears to be a lady driving a tractor around her yard? OP admits that his camera is aimed at her yard, he just sees a moral distinction between his camera aiming at the back of her yard and her camera aiming at his house. The bulk of the video should be his yard with the lines visible at the edge otherwise he is invading her privacy too. Either way the underlying problem is that these neighbors don't trust each other.

Can we have the whole story?

Something is missing.

Would like a better view of where,both cameras are. It should be very cut and dry.

Your past should have zero to do with what's going on.

Would love to know a complete timeline of this drama.

Looks like the neighbor lady is trying to do you a favor. She didn't have a post maul on the tractor so is trying to reset your corner post with the bucket. When that didn't work to her satisfaction added a brace.

One thing is for certain... She is a hippy... hehe.. Sorry... Looks to me like if anything your camera could come in a few degrees so the surveying angle was more in view of your property line and back yard rather than theirs. if something happens in that property line then you move it back because you now have reasonable suspicion of vandalism by your neighbor. As far as their game camera they put up, if you know you can't deal with them face to face or fear interaction with them, you have your options.

1. Block the camera's view from your yard with something that impedes their view and see if they move it to a better location. I would actually change your security camera's view to directly view that camera instead so you can see if and when they decide to move it based on your actions in your yard. At that point, you have visual evidence that your neighbor is intentionally intending to invade your privacy. Get lawyers involved at that point.

2. Call an attorney and cut to the chase and file a suit against them.

Personally I like option number 1 because you are not doing anything illegal, and you are not unnecessarily involving lawyers. If your neighbor decides to then move the camera to get a better view, you have that on surveillance footage and you have her caught in the act. She can't deny that it was re-positioned for some other reason.

Good luck, but first and foremost, I WOULD ADVISE changing the angle of your security camera.

Bowtiebrewery -- it looks like the security (video) camera is pointed at the corner of the OP's property. Not much he can do if he's wanting to keep an eye on his property. Maybe drop the angle a touch, to JUST cover the corner, but regardless, he's going to have some of the neighbor's yard in view. At least with this view, the OP can see down both sides of his property line for a way.

What I'd do is get a big concave parabolic mirror and put it on a pole directly in front of the neighbor's game camera. :) Then if they move the camera, you've got 'em by the short and curlies as it's deliberately pointed at your yard. Nice thing is there's no destruction of their equipment, just making it show a distorted picture of their own property. :)

How come most of what is visible in the video is what appears to be a lady driving a tractor around her yard? OP admits that his camera is aimed at her yard, he just sees a moral distinction between his camera aiming at the back of her yard and her camera aiming at his house. The bulk of the video should be his yard with the lines visible at the edge otherwise he is invading her privacy too. Either way the underlying problem is that these neighbors don't trust each other.

I thought the OP said that the fence in that video, where the lady with the tractor is at, is the property line. Aim the camera straight down the property line and it will show both peoples property. Now where the camera is aimed could also depend upon what the OP has to mount it on. That's one of the reasons why I said a person would have to actually go there and see things first hand to be able to make a proper decision on the propriety of the camera/cameras. Isn't the camera the OP is complaining about, the one in the original pic on this thread, from a different neighbor...not the lady on the tractor? I assumed it was. From the pic it is, apparently, aimed straight at him, and only at him.

I thought the OP said that the fence in that video, where the lady with the tractor is at, is the property line. Aim the camera straight down the property line and it will show both peoples property. Now where the camera is aimed could also depend upon what the OP has to mount it on. That's one of the reasons why I said a person would have to actually go there and see things first hand to be able to make a proper decision on the propriety of the camera/cameras. Isn't the camera the OP is complaining about, the one in the original pic on this thread, from a different neighbor...not the lady on the tractor? I assumed it was. From the pic it is, apparently, aimed straight at him, and only at him.

Is it at all possible that the OP positioned himself in such a way so as to get the best possible picture of the camera on the pole? Thereby making it appear as if it is aimed straight at him?

The best way to determine this is with the property plats, the camera field of view angle and placements...

Latest posts

Back