Left over IPA recipe critique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KIRBREW

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing an IPA tomorrow with some left over grains and hops. I have never used Azacca hops before, my LHBS had two oz so I bought them on a whim.You think they will meld well with the Crystal/Amarillo/Cascades? Thanks for the input!

10.5 gallon batch
13 Lb Pale malt
8 Lb Pilsner
2 Lb Toasted malt
8 oz Crystal 60
4 oz Special B

Mash 150 for 60 minutes

1 oz Amarillo @ 90 minute first wort hop - 15.9 IBU
2 oz Cascade 30 minute 16.9 IBU
1 oz Amarillo 10 minute 4.9 IBU
Whirlpool 1 oz each @ 30 minutes of Azacca/Cascade/Crystal
Dry hop 2 oz Cascade, 1 oz of each Azacca/Amarillo/Crystal

Total IBU-50, 1.066-SG, 9.7-SRM, 7.1 ABV

Yeast- Nottingham (2packs) fermented at 62 degrees F

View attachment Left over IPA.bsmx

For an IPA made with leftovers this looks pretty tasty. I might leave out the Special B entirely though. I tried using about 2 oz. in a 5 gallon APA batch one time and even at that small amount I could taste it through everything else.

As for the Azacca, I definitely think it will play well with those other citrusy hops.

Just another thought. Will this be a 90 minute boil due to the pilsner malt?

Yes it will be a 90 minute boil. I considered leaving out the special B as well.

I would also take out the crystal and special B, add some cane sugar to dry it ouot a bit more.

I think you are wasting the crystal hops though. Those are essentially noble hops and even in quantities much larger than the other hops, they will be entirely eclipsed by assertive IPA style hops. I would save them for a belgian or pilsnerr or something

It is very noticeable. I bought it for a Arrogant Bastard clone ( which came out great) but I think I'm going to leave it out this time. I'll respond back with results in about a month.

I would also take out the crystal and special B, add some cane sugar to dry it ouot a bit more.

I think you are wasting the crystal hops though. Those are essentially noble hops and even in quantities much larger than the other hops, they will be entirely eclipsed by assertive IPA style hops. I would save them for a belgian or pilsnerr or something

A pilsner was the original intent of the crystal, but I always forgot about them when I make a pilsner. I have 10 gallons of a Bohemian Pilsner lagering right now, so it maybe a while before the next one. So I figured why not.. I have yet to use cane sugar in an IPA, what's you thought of keeping the crystal 60 and mashing around 148, or even a little lower?

Yeah, IME it has a way of being overpowering even in very tiny amounts. But overall looks good!

I frequently use small amounts of CR 150, which is the same thing. This is not very much in a recipe of this size. I appreciate the fact that this is in the original IPA range as far as IBUs instead of being one of the stratospheric IPAs that seem to be so popular. 50 is a good number.... Most of my brews fall in this range. Cascade and Amarillo sounds like a good combo. I haven't use Azacca, but it sounds like a wonderful hop.......It's on my "list".

H.W.

I frequently use small amounts of CR 150, which is the same thing. This is not very much in a recipe of this size. I appreciate the fact that this is in the original IPA range as far as IBUs instead of being one of the stratospheric IPAs that seem to be so popular. 50 is a good number.... Most of my brews fall in this range. Cascade and Amarillo sounds like a good combo. I haven't use Azacca, but it sounds like a wonderful hop.......It's on my "list".

H.W.
I prefer a lower IBU for my IPAs too. An enamel stripping level isn't enjoyable to me.

Ok, so I scrapped all the crystal malts and added .25 Lb of cane sugar in the last 10 minutes of the boil. Thanks for the input!

H.W.

I wasn't by any means saying it would make an awful beer. Just to me it is a very strong flavor. I think everyone should brew what they like, I was just commenting that I've tried using a small amount of it in a brew and it came through in the flavor far more than I thought it would.

Back