Leaky keg full o' beer. How to move?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StunnedMonkey

Reaction score
I kegged a batch a few days ago at 10 psi. It's not intended for drinking for a couple of weeks. This morning I noticed that it's leaking around the lid...I see bubbles there. I gave it a 30 psi shot and it seemed to seal back up, but now that I've backed it down to 10, I dunno if it'll hold.

If I have to move this batch, what's the best way to do it? I'm considering making a beer line with liquid ball locks on both sides, connecting them to the out posts of the leaky keg and an empty good keg, then pushing it from one to the other under low pressure (5 psi?). Is there a better way? Any way to try and get a good seal on the keg in place as opposed to moving the beer?

Any way to try and get a good seal on the keg in place as opposed to moving the beer?

Absolutely! Now that you've given it a high pressure shot, don't be surprised if it stays sealed. And there is really no need to bleed it back down to 10psi, it will go down on it's own as the Co2 is dissolved into the beer.

Drizzle some starsan around the top of the keg, and look for subtle bubbling. Check every possible point of exit...the lid & relief valve, around the posts, and the poppets as well. If the lid is leaking, try re-orienting the big o-ring, and/or applying a thin film of keg lube. If it's the posts or poppets leaking, there is no reason you can't deal with them with the beer in place, so long as you sanitize everything. With leaky poppets, often the tiniest smear of keg lube on the rubber seal will sort things out. Ditto with relief valves.

Try re-seating the lid a few times.
Go to your LHBS and get some keg lube.

I don't have an lBHS with keg lube. Any other lube that one can use in the meantime? I'l have to order some online. Should have some alreay I guess. I'm new to kegging.

Absolutely! Now that you've given it a high pressure shot, don't be surprised if it stays sealed. And there is really no need to bleed it back down to 10psi, it will go down on it's own as the Co2 is dissolved into the beer.

Drizzle some starsan around the top of the keg, and look for subtle bubbling. Check every possible point of exit...the lid & relief valve, around the posts, and the poppets as well...

It's defintely around the lid. There was foam oozing out this morning. I've been checking for leaks with soapy water and I'm sure it was sealed well unti today. Not sure why it'd start leaking now.

I'll get some starsan. I've been using idophor and have no starsan on hand.

Anyway, seems the consensus so far is deal with the leak in place rather than mover the beer?

mineral oil will also work for lube, but it's not a permanent solution. If you don't have Star San, soapy water will also work (or anything you can see bubbling). You'll have to deal with the leak eventually, might as well be now.

You'll have to deal with the leak eventually, might as well be now.

Exactly, no reason it can't be fixed with the beer in place.

Turning the lid around 180° is worth a shot. How about the clamp on the keg lid and the brackets it sits in, is it all in good shape? Inspect the little plastic feet too, if they are worn through it could impact the seal.

Starsan isn't the best leak detector, but the nice thing is that you needn't worry about it dripping into your beer. Soapy water will work for now, so long as you're careful.

Well, for now it seems to be holding fine since re-seating it and repressuring to 30. I'll be keeping an eye on it though. Thanks fellas.

If you do decide to rack it to another keg, you described the procedure perfectly. Purge th empty keg with CO2. Small jumper line, Liquid Ball Lock on each side, connect Out to Out. Apply low pressure to the full keg, and slowly bleed pressure from the empty keg.

sometimes taking the seal off and re-installing it 180 degrees can work too. Second the notion on using mineral oil. Stuff works great on posts too.

Back