Leaking shank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electrake

Reaction score
I simply can not figure this out..

The problem is as pictured. The o ring is fine and intact, teeth are fine for the fitting. I was rebuilding the collar and took it all apart, now it wont work! 2 of the three taps are like this, upon insoection they are all exactly the same. Maybe the metal face the gasket seats on is warped?
20180622_210516.jpg

I've taken them apart numerous times now, gasket appears new and i have placed it back in place a few times. I would think that even if it were the metal piece it sits against, that the gasket would seal against it regardless if it were tight enough. Let alone why two faucets exhibit the same problem and the third fine. All were cleaned and rebuilt the same way, and installed likewise.

This is a puzzle....
I can't imagine the metal being warped - that's just not possible.
You say the gaskets are sealed.
I hate to ask, but are you sure you re-assembled correctly? Perhaps compare with a tap that's not leaking?

I have to believe the teeth aren't fully engaging so the O-ring inside is never getting any "squish".
The rebuild likely changed the rotational orientation of the shanks so the fit might be slightly different now.

Might take the shank out of the collar and experiment with fitting the faucet to the shank to find the best orientation, then hook up a beer line and see if you've fixed the leak. Then install the shank in the same orientation.

It'd be a bit of a chore but what's the alternative?

Cheers!

I appreciate the replies, I've taken them off, and taken them apart multiple times now to no avail o_O its seeming like im going to have to just replace them

I had a problem with some of my faucets not being able to be tightened enough. It took me a long time to find the problem and I've never seen it mentioned on this forum. My shanks have a snap ring inside them. The snap ring is what holds the part that screws into the faucet in place. My snap rings were on the front groove and I couldn't tighten them enough to keep them from leaking. I moved the snap ring to the groove further back and my faucets would then tighten up and not leak. I have never seen a mention of having to move the snap rings but that certainly did fix my problem. Maybe take a look at that?

I tried loosening from the back so that there has more room to tighten onto the tap itself, to no avail. It did help, but I think the problem is the face of the shank. Here's a picture of it, no idea how it happened.. looks like it got beaten with a hammer. Also here's the back of the tap, looks fine. Grimey, but fine (rebuilding a kegerator I haven't used in 2 years.)
20180623_113933.jpg
20180623_113923.jpg

Shanks aren't too expensive, I've done everything you all recommended in every way I could imagine. I'm thinking the answer lies within my wallet

Last ditch effort, Keg lube the seals if you haven’t.
Old o-rings and seals may just need replaced.

Back