New kegerator build, tap is leaking at connection to shank.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LitBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Very strange issue i'm running into with my new kegerator build. I put my brand new perlick taps on the shank and when I hook the beer line up it leaks like crazy out the holes where you tighten.

I tried loosening the collar, tried tightninig it as much as possible, tried loosening the shank nut as well, nothing is really working. The washer on them looks the same.

I had an old non-perlick tap that I put on there, and it worked fine right away. Also took a perlick tap that is working from another kegerator and installed that and it has the same problem.

Is there some additional washer I need or something I am missing with this connection that would cause this issue?

Attachments

• 20220321_005004076_iOS.jpg
    20220321_005004076_iOS.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • 20220321_005010097_iOS.jpg
    20220321_005010097_iOS.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
Those are beer washers - they're for the tailpiece connection to the shank, and I suppose for Sanke coupler connections, too.
I don't think anyone makes a thicker body washer but that's where one should be looking.

I agree with @Bobby_M that there has always been some weirdness with some Perlick faucet bodies that they're not universally compatible with shanks. I would expect if there's going to be a problem it'll be with some chrome plated shanks as opposed to unplated stainless steel...

Cheers!

I have 4 Perlick taps, and got lucky as they all worked with the shanks I bought, but noticed that some of the taps have double teeth compared to the others. Both the same model of tap, just the fittings are different.

I have 4 Perlick taps, and got lucky as they all worked with the shanks I bought, but noticed that some of the taps have double teeth compared to the others. Both the same model of tap, just the fittings are different.
I too feel lucky my Perlicks fit my shanks. I've seen numerous references to Perlick-to-shank incompatibility, but this is the first time I've heard of Perlick inconsistencies like this - wow!

Back