Leaking mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
I just finished my mash tun - Coleman Extreme Cooler - as per instructions in the DIY section. Problem is no matter what combination of fender washers, neoprene washers, O-rings, plumbers tape, I still get a minor drip. The last combination worked best with using the gasket on the inside that came with the cooler, backed by a neoprene washer and a SS 11/2 inch washer. I noticed that the hole created by the cooler's natural spout is slightly larger than the 1/2 inch set up that I'm using, but not big enough for the next size up. Was thinking of siliconing a little around the opening.

Anyone else have this problem? The leak is very minor, but enough to irritate the OCD side of me. Had to put off my first AG this weekend.

it took me a long time to get mine to stop leaking too. The best I can tell you is use teflon tape wherever possible, even on the outside where pieces meet. Also, tighten the bejeezus out of everything.

Tightening the bejeezus out of everything is not the solution, especially when using compression fittings and gaskets, o-rings, neoprene washers, etc.

I suppose I should have another attempt to try and stop mine leaking whenever I use the spigot. *Sigh*

I think you will find that many of us have that problem, but just live with it as it is only a very small leak.

you might also want to put plumbers tape on the threads , I know its just hand tight, but water could be coming in through the threads, which the washers dont cover.

Tightening the bejeezus out of everything is not the solution, especially when using compression fittings and gaskets, o-rings, neoprene washers, etc.

yea, I didn't really use any of those though. I tried to avoid things anything with give with the exception of the o-ring that came with the cooler.

Kitchen silicon is alright to use if you have to. I think no washers in the tun is the best way to go. With only a pipe fitting against the gasket there only one place for a leak. Adding a washer adds more places to seal.

Back