Lazy Man's Single Decoction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcbc

Reaction score
I know this is nothing new, but I figured I would post up a couple of pictures. Brewed a Helles last night. Typically, I use melanoidin malt, but my LHBS doesn't stock it currently. So for a little color and flavor, I decided to do a single decoction at mashout. I have done them before and the stirring and attention to prevent scorching while I have all the other brew day fun going on doesn't suit me. So I decided to do a small decoction in my 20 qt pressure cooker/canner.

I put the steam tray in with a little water. At the end of the mash, I loaded up our largest stainless bowl with as much of the mash as it would hold. I put some foil over it lightly to prevent any of the grain from clogging the steam release valve. Ran the pressure up to 15 psi and held it for 15 minutes. Brought it back down and it smelled great---just like it should.

Added it back and, with a little heat from the burner, took the mash up to mash out.

For flavor, I'm guessing this will work as well as anything. It probably doesn't save much time and doesn't work well for actually raising the temperature since you have to wait to drop the pressure. But if you're looking to add a little decoction flavor and don't want to stir, it's pretty easy and requires little effort.

IMAG0275_BURST002_1.jpg

For color purposes, this is mostly pilsner malt.

IMAG0276_BURST002_1.jpg

Back