Lauter Tun - Im an idiot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speer1234

Reaction score
Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, I realized that by simply prying off the existing drainer I had an almost flush hole for my pipe. I placed another washer on the other side and it fits snug.

Now I have a giant hole my earlier drilling! :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Is this thing salvageable? You think a giant theres a way I can save this / seal the hole? :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

IMG_00000714.jpg

IMG_00000715.jpg

IMG_00000716.jpg

Hmm that will never work. The cloth will absorb the liquid and leak as you mash. You need some kind of food grade sealant.

Would a latex glove work?

The position of the original drain is almost an inch from the bottom of the tun. Is this okay?

That is quite okay.
Dunno about the glove. Is that food grade and heat safe? We're talking 170F water here now and then.

That is quite okay.
Dunno about the glove. Is that food grade and heat safe? We're talking 170F water here now and then.

An inch of dead space is okay? Im afraid of losing precious wort. Im not sure if latex at 170f is food safe. Im not sure what im going to do about the whole, thing whole mess is giving me a headache :(

Maybe a hole saw slightly larger than the hole you have there - drill a good round hole then get a solid rubber bung that fits it, and some food-grade silicone to seal it in from the inside.

If it was me - I'd start over though. Sorry!

Maybe a hole saw slightly larger than the hole you have there - drill a good round hole then get a solid rubber bung that fits it, and some food-grade silicone to seal it in from the inside.

If it was me - I'd start over though. Sorry!

You would need a pilot for the hole saw...........:mug:

The only leftover wert would be where the holes start on your manifold, siphon will pull it all out to that point.
Patch the hole and get to mashing.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, I realized that by simply prying off the existing drainer I had an almost flush hole for my pipe. I placed another washer on the other side and it fits snug.

Now I have a giant hole my earlier drilling! :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Is this thing salvageable? You think a giant theres a way I can save this / seal the hole? :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I don't think you're and idiot, but I do believe its time to start over. Find another cooler (craigslist, a friend, the barn/garage, etc) and be careful next time around. Nothing wrong with learning from failure :)

Here's the real solution. If you can source a stainless steel elevator bolt, something like a 3/8" thread with a large 1.25" disc head, I have a large silicone gasket that will seal against that. Fender washer outside, then nut.

Could probably spend like $15 on hardware for a moderate fix but I would spend the extra $15 and get a new cooler.

Coolers are cheap.

Sure it's a mistake but it's only $30 or so. That's not a lot in the scheme of things: 1 month internet, 3/4 tank of gas, or 3-4 6-packs.

To look at it another way - if you spend $15 on bolts/gaskets and it fails while you are brewing a $30 beer, then what.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Also looking at your post, your manifold is pretty close to the edge. This will lead to non-uniform drainage. Being rectangular you can only batch sparge anyways but it seems like you didn't do a lot of research before taking this on.

For the next project make sure to search and read through 5-10 threads of someone starting the same task before you start yours.

I think you did a pretty good job with the holes/sweating of the pipe! I hope it works out for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That looks like a 48 quart Coleman cooler. I just bought one at a sporting goods store for $19.

Get a new one and start over.

Call it tuition in the School of Oh Crap!

Being rectangular you can only batch sparge anyways

You absolutely can fly sparge in a rectangular cooler, I do it.

I would start over. As to dead space concerns, relax. I use that exact cooler with a stainless braid. You will lose some wort, but it is a few cups, and next to no sugar if you batch sparge. You will lose that much in your tubing. I suggest starting with batch sparging, less to go wrong, if you batch sparge channeling does not matter.

Back