Late harvest - brown hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been too busy with work, and we have been in what I would say might be a drought here in Connecticut. I have a place in the yard where I grow Centennial and Cascade hops, 2nd year. They grew pretty well this year, but I haven't had been around to water or tend them.

I was home this morning and noticed that one variety had browned up - have to check my notes to see if they were centennial or cascade. Almost all the cones are brown. They smell like hops, are big and mature - but did I wait too long? Should I harvest them now? I can get there tomorrow and grab them if its worth it.

If they still smell like hops I would pick them. It might be a good idea to make a hop tea out of a couple of the cones so you can judge if the flavor and aroma is still good.

I'm betting it's the Centennial, as mine are close to harvest (maybe a week out) while the Cascade feel like they're two weeks away at least.

Split open a couple of representative cones, smush the guts in your face, and if you don't pick up onion or garlic (or worse: cheese) you're ok...

Cheers!

My Centennials are really browning as well. Even though they don't seem to be papery at all like they were last year when I harvested. Should I go ahead and harvest them even though they still seem to be holding a lot of moisture? They are loaded with dark yellow lupulin and smell amazing.

Back