Late extract addition question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_bell

Reaction score
If I do a late extract addition, I'm assuming the wort temp will have dropped during / after the addition. Do I temporarily suspend timing the boil until the wort returns to boiling again, or do I keep the timer running throughout?

I've always just kept the timer going because extract has already been boiled. It doesn't really need more. The timer is there more for the hops than the extract.

I found that I couldn't get my wort back up to a boil after adding late extract. Instead, I just add my late extract at flameout and let it steep for about 10 minutes to kill any nasties still in the extract before placing the brewpot in an ice bath.

"I found that I couldn't get my wort back up to a boil after adding late extract. Instead, I just add my late extract at flameout and let it steep for about 10 minutes to kill any nasties still in the extract before placing the brewpot in an ice bath."

Iowa State Fan, very interesting, because that is what the recipe (see my post below) directed, however I ended up adding it 15 min prior to flameout, just to be safe.

All appears to be well, with a vigorous fermentation that is still going, though slowing down, after 48 hours. Can't wait to try this stuff.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/adding-lme-flameout-80167/

Back