Last Hop Addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

hotbeer

Opinionated Newb
Reaction score
Just put a gallon all grain brew in the fermenter. It's just a simple recipe with 2 lbs 2 oz grain and 7 grams of Palisade Hops.

I forgot my last hop addition at flameout. About 1.8 grams worth. Had everything in the fermenter and was cleaning up when I noticed.

Figured I'd add it after the Krausen goes down about day 2 or 3. Any thoughts on whether I should go ahead and add it now. Or might it be better to hold off till much later?

I like hoppy tastes, though this particular beer wasn't supposed to be overly hoppy by the description.

Reaction score
Seems to me that the trend lately is to add dry hops for about 2-4 days before packaging in order to maximize the hop flavor without any astringency. And I've read that adding the hops during active fermentation will lose a lot of the hop aroma.

DannyBoy270

I Drink and I Know Sh*t...
Reaction score
Adding them at flameout would have contributed a little more to the bitterness of your beer, whereas dry hopping contributes more to aroma. It really doesn't matter much when you add them at this stage, I just try not to leave them in my beer for more than 5 days for the sake of not extracting any vegetal charcters.

OP
hotbeer

hotbeer

Opinionated Newb
Reaction score
Hops were added at boil start and 30 mins. for a total of 5.2 grams. While I love hoppy beer, I wasn't intending for this to show a lot of hops.

Maybe I should just go with what I have and not add the remaining. I have a couple IPA kits that I will be starting soon. Maybe I'll just add the tiny amount with one of them during the boil just so I can tell myself I didn't waste them.

DannyBoy270

I Drink and I Know Sh*t...
Reaction score
What style beer is this batch? If it were me I'd probably still add them bc otherwise your going to be leaving out a layer of complexity that the recipe included in its design. Besides dry hopping doesn't result in 100% utilization anyway, so especially with such a small quantity you're not gonna end up with an overly hoppy beer. Palisade is supposed to contribute a floral, apricot type character and so subtle notes of that is all you should expect this addition to contribute

OP
hotbeer

hotbeer

Opinionated Newb
Reaction score
On their website, they class it as a Pale Ale. Afternoon Wheat: Beer Making Mix

It's bubbling up a storm in the fermenter right now. Actually I split the gallon into two 1 gallon jugs. 1 gallon in a one gallon jug doesn't seem to be enough room for the krausen and the first batches I either had to leave wort out to have more headspace, or put up with the mess being shot out the blow off tube into the bubbler bottle.

So this time I used two jugs half full. And they are going strong right now. Krasen almost but not quite reaching the blow off tubes, so I'm happy.

Maybe I ought to put the hops in one fermenter and not the other, then I can see if I can tell a difference after they are bottled. Though having to bottle separate small amounts might be a pain. I was going to put them together in the same priming/bottling pot when the time came.

Might need a more accurate scale to measure that small amount of priming sugar.

Latest posts