Last Hop Addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotbeer

Opinionated Newb
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just put a gallon all grain brew in the fermenter. It's just a simple recipe with 2 lbs 2 oz grain and 7 grams of Palisade Hops.

I forgot my last hop addition at flameout. About 1.8 grams worth. Had everything in the fermenter and was cleaning up when I noticed.

Figured I'd add it after the Krausen goes down about day 2 or 3. Any thoughts on whether I should go ahead and add it now. Or might it be better to hold off till much later?

I like hoppy tastes, though this particular beer wasn't supposed to be overly hoppy by the description.

Seems to me that the trend lately is to add dry hops for about 2-4 days before packaging in order to maximize the hop flavor without any astringency. And I've read that adding the hops during active fermentation will lose a lot of the hop aroma.

Adding them at flameout would have contributed a little more to the bitterness of your beer, whereas dry hopping contributes more to aroma. It really doesn't matter much when you add them at this stage, I just try not to leave them in my beer for more than 5 days for the sake of not extracting any vegetal charcters.

Hops were added at boil start and 30 mins. for a total of 5.2 grams. While I love hoppy beer, I wasn't intending for this to show a lot of hops.

Maybe I should just go with what I have and not add the remaining. I have a couple IPA kits that I will be starting soon. Maybe I'll just add the tiny amount with one of them during the boil just so I can tell myself I didn't waste them.

What style beer is this batch? If it were me I'd probably still add them bc otherwise your going to be leaving out a layer of complexity that the recipe included in its design. Besides dry hopping doesn't result in 100% utilization anyway, so especially with such a small quantity you're not gonna end up with an overly hoppy beer. Palisade is supposed to contribute a floral, apricot type character and so subtle notes of that is all you should expect this addition to contribute

On their website, they class it as a Pale Ale. Afternoon Wheat: Beer Making Mix

It's bubbling up a storm in the fermenter right now. Actually I split the gallon into two 1 gallon jugs. 1 gallon in a one gallon jug doesn't seem to be enough room for the krausen and the first batches I either had to leave wort out to have more headspace, or put up with the mess being shot out the blow off tube into the bubbler bottle.

So this time I used two jugs half full. And they are going strong right now. Krasen almost but not quite reaching the blow off tubes, so I'm happy.

Maybe I ought to put the hops in one fermenter and not the other, then I can see if I can tell a difference after they are bottled. Though having to bottle separate small amounts might be a pain. I was going to put them together in the same priming/bottling pot when the time came.

Might need a more accurate scale to measure that small amount of priming sugar.

Back