Large amount is sediment after brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blazingsun81

Reaction score
Did my first all grain brew today and for the most part it went really well, now after 3 hrs it seems to have about a 1 gallon of sediment on the bottom of my 5 gallon carboy. Is this normal?

all of your hops and break material will fall to the bottom but one gallon seems like a LOT.

Is it fermenting now? Rising CO2 will make that layer of trub look bigger than it will be when it settles down, in my limited experience.

Do you try to strain out any of your solids from the brew kettle before you rack it to the fermenter? Doing this can help with that if it's a concern. I have been using a hop strainer in my kettle for quite a while now. Keeping the hop debris out of the fermenter is a big help. As mentioned earlier, your sediment will settle down into a lot more compact layer. It takes a while.

I did strain out what I could for solids , not to say what I using was an great method. As for fermenting it is still to early to tell , it has only been 4 hrs since I pinch the yeast.
Like most new brewers I'm probably being over concern about the little things = )

Don't worry about it, it'll all work out. I BIAB and have tons of break and trub - I try and leave some in the kettle, but I have certainly done brews where I dumped the whole kettle into the fermenter. Never had any issues and with S05 or other good flock yeast, it'll pack down after fermentation.

Here's a quick suggestion for your next brew. Ferment it in a bucket so you can't see that layer of trub. By the time it is ready to bottle that trub will have settled out into a layer less than a half an inch thick. Your racking cane or autosiphon has a cap that is sized to rack above that layer.

I use a stainless steel kitchen strainer. Once I cool the wort, I rest the strainer on top of the bucket and just pour the kettle into the bucket through the stainer. This has the added advantage of aerating the wort. Of course you need a big strainer, or someone to hold it for you. I use my 5 year old daughter for that. She's also useful at bottling time.

Sometimes it will get full of sediment before all the wort is in the bucket. In that case, I just keep pouring and don't worry about what gets in the fermentor. You can always top off to the 5.25 gal point to make up for some of the trub loss.

Here's a quick suggestion for your next brew. Ferment it in a bucket so you can't see that layer of trub. By the time it is ready to bottle that trub will have settled out into a layer less than a half an inch thick. Your racking cane or autosiphon has a cap that is sized to rack above that layer.

I've had three inch trub layers before, or more if pitching a second batch onto as yeast cake. It won't hurt anything, worst case is it makes harvesting yeast take a little longer.

Back