Land Shark - A Hoot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayg

Reaction score
Saw a bunch of ads plastered all over the T today for something
called "Land Shark Lager", supposedly "Island Style" (?), but it's
brewed in St. Louis Missouri. I didn't know St. Louis was an island!
Just another marketing gimmick from the Busch League I suppose.
Anybody tried it?

Ray

Yeah, I've had it. I enjoy BMC adjunct lagers well enough if the mood hits me right, and this is just another one of those. I'm not sure what is supposed to make it "island".

MalFet said:
Yeah, I've had it. I enjoy BMC adjunct lagers well enough if the mood hits me right, and this is just another one of those. I'm not sure what is supposed to make it "island".

They rolled it out at Budweiser Jacksonville, FL about 4 yrs ago. It's supposed to be like Corona. I think at the time, they had marketed it as designed by Jimmy Buffet.

It requires a ton of lime to make it quaffable and really isn't THAT good even after...

Saw a bunch of ads plastered all over the T today for something
called "Land Shark Lager", supposedly "Island Style" (?), but it's
brewed in St. Louis Missouri. I didn't know St. Louis was an island!
Just another marketing gimmick from the Busch League I suppose.
Anybody tried it?

Ray

Yeah cause the English Style Pale Ale I brewed in the past wasn't English STYLE because I live in NY...

:confused:

It is Island Style because they are trying to market it to Corona drinkers.

I tried out of curiosity and thought it was good. Tried again and thought it was awful and I drink Natural Light regularly. Must have been really thirsty first time. I also am not a buffet fan and decided not to contribute to his empire and keep my $$ in my pocket, I need it more than he does. Don't remember the price but I am sure it is way over priced for what it is.

Is it just dropping where you live, or is it that you've just noticed it for the first time? It's been in Michigan for 4-5 years now. I've never tried it, it's not one of my favorite styles so it's really not something I care all that much to try. But I think they tout it as a "summer beer" and trot out the adds this time of year, and kinda do a blitz. That's probably why you're seeing it, maybe not because it's just coming to your part of the world.

You're supposed to pour 1/4 of it out (or spray it on a drunk kick in a grass skirt and coconut bra) and then top it back up with tequila. It also must be only a degree or two above freezing. THEN, it's not that bad.

Also, don't hate the player, hate the game. If I could only work 3 days a week and not 2 in a row and pull down 80 mil a year I would. Fins up.

I'm not really sure where this think started- I guess to have a beer to directly compete with other "beach" beers like Corona? Every time I go down to spring break with my fraternity, everyone says how awesome this is. I try to tell them it's brewed in St. Louis (where we're all from, no less) and it's just a tweaked Bud Light but no one pays any attention.

What's most humorous is how InBev tries to make a whole class of beer for it, "island lager." How on earth is anyone on a tropical island supposed to lager a beer? I guess the professor could have figured out a way.

What's most humorous is how InBev tries to make a whole class of beer for it, "island lager." How on earth is anyone on a tropical island supposed to lager a beer? I guess the professor could have figured out a way.

Look up "tropical stouts" which are brewed in Jamaica and Sri Lanka, which are made with LAGER yeast. They've managed to lager for a couple hundred years in the tropics just fine. ;)

Tropical Stout

Tropical stout is the term usually applied to the sweet, high-gravity stouts often brewed in the Carribbean and elsewhere. These stouts were often brewed as domestic versions of the Foreign Extra Stouts that were available for import in those countries, but modified to fit in with existing Carribbean brewing traditions. Unlike any other style of stout, Tropical Stouts are often brewed with bottom-fermenting (lager) yeast.

Back