Lambic Discussion Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Son of a *****.
FD9EFDD4-E1D8-4356-9449-D3F82A4EDDF4-5682-000004DB210A84BD_zps51456249.jpg

EDIT: In that vein, this is what I brought back from Europe:

jDtGZcI.jpg

I'm still ISO OGV, by the way. CANNOT GET ENOUGH. (The one on the left is "homebrew" fruit lambic made with Cantillon's lambic.)

FD9EFDD4-E1D8-4356-9449-D3F82A4EDDF4-5682-000004DB210A84BD_zps51456249.jpg

EDIT: In that vein, this is what I brought back from Europe:

jDtGZcI.jpg

I'm still ISO OGV, by the way. CANNOT GET ENOUGH. (The one on the left is "homebrew" fruit lambic made with Cantillon's lambic.)

Thank you! Not sure what I did wrong there. Nice haul by the way, what vintage are those red labels? I've had a ***** of a time finding any '08 OGV 750s.

Thank you! Not sure what I did wrong there. Nice haul by the way, what vintage are those red labels? I've had a ***** of a time finding any '08 OGV 750s.
I think you used the photobucket URL instead of the picture URL. Your picture used: http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums...210A84BD_zps51456249.jpg&evt=user_media_share

but you wanted: http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums...A4EDDF4-5682-000004DB210A84BD_zps51456249.jpg

I'm not sure wtf the difference is, but it was easy for my to right-click on the picture and click "Select image location" to get the right thing.

But, really, just use http://imgur.com.

And the OGVs are 3 St. Valentine's, 2 '08, and 2 '05. What's kind of hilarious is that '08 is the only one I've never had before, even including 50th/99/Millennium.

Yeahnatenelson opened up some '08 awhile back, it was fantastic. A little brighter than your typical 3F though from what I remember.
The '08 OGV is one of my favorite beers right now. And I agree with this; it has a touch more bright lemony citrus acidity than most 3F gueuze.

Consistency and longevity might not be De Cam's strong suit though. The 2000 Oude Geuze we had recently was pretty bland.

I opened a 2001 just over a year ago with some buddies and I thought it was really good. I'd suggest asking Shaggs, but he probably wouldn't remember it since he spilled his entire pour all over himself, then tried to blame the dog. Maybe he could agree that it smelled good?

So who can give me the run down of 3F OGV? I haven't tried hunting any. What's the story?
2002 is a whale, 2003-2005 is a bit hard to track down, 2006-2008 is easier. All are really amazing. Stay away from the synthetic corks (I think they're only in 2005-2006).

I'm not sure exactly what the differences are year to year, but the beers are different than the regular OG.

Here's a pic of 2002 OG (left) 2002 OGV (right).

jJNbCRJ.png

So who can give me the run down of 3F OGV? I haven't tried hunting any. What's the story?
My understanding is that it's a blend of the best lambics he gets, and then it's aged for longer to make sure it develops right. '08 is the most recent batch, came out last year, which I think is a typical lag.

I think it's still a 1, 2, 3 blend, unlike some of his other fancy stuff.

EDIT: Grumpy's wrong, they're all really bad. Don't go looking for.

like I need more competition...

how long does shipping (from Belgium in a Box in particular) usually take?

2002 is a whale, 2003-2005 is a bit hard to track down, 2006-2008 is easier. All are really amazing. Stay away from the synthetic corks (I think they're only in 2005-2006).

I'm not sure exactly what the differences are year to year, but the beers are different than the regular OG.

Here's a pic of 2002 OG (left) 2002 OGV (right).

jJNbCRJ.png

The St. Valentjin '07 and regular OGV '07 have synthetic corks too. There are regular corks though as well for the regular OGV '07.

The St. Valentjin '07 and regular OGV '07 have synthetic corks too. There are regular corks though as well for the regular OGV '07.
Do you (or anyone) know what the deal is with the St Valentjin label? I always thought that was just a cheeky name for the blend on 2/14, but then found out about the label. Then I had one in Belgium that was just the regular label but bottled on 2/14. Did it start as a joke then they changed the label, or something?

Do you (or anyone) know what the deal is with the St Valentjin label? I always thought that was just a cheeky name for the blend on 2/14, but then found out about the label. Then I had one in Belgium that was just the regular label but bottled on 2/14. Did it start as a joke then they changed the label, or something?

I think I have one labeled 2/14 as well that is a none St. Valentjin now that you say that, should probably enter that on the vintage list. No clue why some are marked St. Valentjin and others are regular OGV.

I think I have one labeled 2/14 as well that is a none St. Valentjin now that you say that, should probably enter that on the vintage list. No clue why some are marked St. Valentjin and others are regular OGV.

My understanding was a shortage of the specially marked labels... probably worth confirmign with Armand.

Back