LalBrew Voss Kveik

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattGuk

Reaction score
This stuff is insane.
Pitched this stuff into a 1.052 21ltr batch @5.30.
10pm and it's going nuts already.
Maybe I might use this yeast on most of my blondes / pale ales, especially in the warmer months, heard it's pretty good for cream ales and Cali commons to.
Anybody?

Haven't used it yet, but I just ordered a packet last night. My fermentation control is sketchy at best with ice bottles and shirts. My plan is to test it out when the temps get back to that point in July or so. I'd love to be able to not be switching out ice bottles and turn a beer over quickly.

Haven't used it yet, but I just ordered a packet last night. My fermentation control is sketchy at best with ice bottles and shirts. My plan is to test it out when the temps get back to that point in July or so. I'd love to be able to not be switching out ice bottles and turn a beer over quickly.
I tend to have the AC on in the summer so it’s not going to get hot enough for this yeast to be happy at my house. My solution is that I will use a corny keg for a fermentor an put it in a pail of water with a small aquarium heater. The water will heat to near 90F then the heat from fermentation will take it higher. Fermentation will be over quickly.

We don't heat/cool the basement. It gets in the low 80s with ease down there in the summers. I figure the same as you, get it up to 90 with a heat mat and let the fermentation heat take it the rest of the way.

80’s my last 2 batches were done in 3 days using out of the packet.
Hi,
Is that ambient temp or fermenter temp? I not wanting to have to heat but it's not hard for me to maintain a 80* ambient temp right now. I figure if I pitch a 80*+ and wrap with a blanket around it should be OK, me thinks.
I have never used any Kveik yeast and keeping a warmer ferment would work better for me right now. That said , I don't want to have to heat it to work well either.
Thanks, :mug:
Joel B.

Hi,
Is that ambient temp or fermenter temp? I not wanting to have to heat but it's not hard for me to maintain a 80* ambient temp right now. I figure if I pitch a 80*+ and wrap with a blanket around it should be OK, me thinks.
I have never used any Kveik yeast and keeping a warmer ferment would work better for me right now. That said , I don't want to have to heat it to work well either.
Joel B.
Just cool down to 95 And pitch, the yeast will do its thing.

I pitched Voss Kveik on Friday and just let the fermenter in the garage. Garage was at least 90+ so beer must have been near 100F. The airlock was bubbling away 3 hours after pitch.

Hi,
Joel B.
Pitch at 95. Once it gets fermenting it will heat itself. It won’t drop below 80 for a few days of wrapped in a blanket and not in a cold room. After a few days it’s not a problem if it drops in upper 70’s anyway. Pitch at 95 and let it go.

I did a batch last week and just now with the White Labs Stranda Variant. I split the one vial into 2 batches since Kveik only needs about 5 grams or 3/4 of a tablespoon to work. I have a pack of Lalbrew's Voss which I will use next month. The beers were an APA and a Summer Wheat.

Added it to a stout with 1.060 OG and it is going to town. Have it fermenting in an outdoor closet with no AC.

I hadn't really read much on Kveik strains, well I guess just cuz. I can see this will change things for me. I might have to chose to brew beers that are not so yeast strain dependent during the summer. Not a big deal at all. Are there any styles that it would "absolutly not/do not use"?.

I hadn't really read much on Kveik strains, well I guess just cuz. I can see this will change things for me. I might have to chose to brew beers that are not so yeast strain dependent during the summer. Not a big deal at all. Are there any styles that it would "absolutly not/do not use"?.
I don't know if there is. I've previously used in an APA which turned out great, currently in a porter, so we'll see. But others have used it in a stout and wheat. Even Omega yeasts suggests trying it in a NEIPA. I honestly think you can use it in just about anything.

Thanks, @myndflyte . I don't stray too far from cream, pale & amber ales. I do like good wheats w/ banana esters so I'll probably stick with Munich Classic or when it's safer to ship 3068 for those. I'm looking forward to try Kveilk as it will make my life more easy keeping ferment temps safe.
Thanks again, :mug:
Joel B.

You wouldn't get the same beer using kveik for various Belgian styles. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good beer, just no longer really a Belgian. No, I haven't tried that yet.

Back