LALBREW® VOSS KVEIK ALE YEAST

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up not needing the blow-off either, despite it being almost violently active for the past 24 hours. Speaking of which, it's now 6pm on day two and the airlock has flatlined.
WOW,, mine kept bubblin for a couple of days, not a lot just enough to say wait some more. I just got done putting it to sleep in bottles as I type. The only thing I might have any complaint about is that it didn't flock well. I'm sure it's some thing I did or didn't do but the beer tastes great for what it is, just a "beer". I know that some ppl will poo poo just a boozy beer. Hey it was a $32.00 kit, didn't expect a any awards with it.
It was really more a yeast experiment. I figured that at the worst I'd end up with some kind of fermented beverage. Got that.
I'm not a fancy brewer, pretty much low rent so to speak. This has been fun so far, I plan to make a post as soon as I sample the first bottle and make a synopsis of the deal for some who might give a crap. It's been a learning experience for me and maybe some one else might learn from it also.
Yeah brewing is fun,,,exasperating sometimes, but that's allure to me. making beer with what I have. Bucks don't make better beer if you don't know the what's and why's.
Woops, got a bit windy here, I tend to do that sometimes,,, :cask:
Cheers,
Joel B.

I finally managed to getting around to using this yeast today. I had two planned brew days postponed due to life. It happens

This stuff is nuts. Almost instant action inside the fermenter. Given most folks time tables, I should be packaging next Friday and sampling off my uKeg in...10 days?

I brewed my cream ale last Saturday afternoon, by evening it was a chugging along OG 1.050, Sunday night 1.010 and by Monday night at fg 1.007. dropped temp to 71f and waited rest of week to clear and will bottle tomorrow, 1 week after pitch.

I brewed my cream ale last Saturday afternoon, by evening it was a chugging along OG 1.050, Sunday night 1.010 and by Monday night at fg 1.007. dropped temp to 71f and waited rest of week to clear and will bottle tomorrow, 1 week after pitch.
My first foray with this yeast I have only one dis. I steeped 1lb of carared for color. I'm liking the beer for every thing else but just does'nt want to clear up. Made the same beer today w/out any steeping grains and it's almost clear as the yeastys kick in. (In like 2.5 hr. @97* only using the second half a pack.5.2 g. there abouts,,)
Kinda wierd, never gave much a eff about the ferment, it was what it was, but with this yeast it's a different ballgame.
One thing I simply amazed about is pitching half a pack dry at 90*+ and it bubbling within 3-4 hrs is crazy,

Edit,,,I bottle and in 1 week it's coming around already. Still hazy though, hoping that a day in the fridge would drop out some haze, no luck

Last edited:
I finally managed to getting around to using this yeast today. I had two planned brew days postponed due to life. It happens

This stuff is nuts. Almost instant action inside the fermenter. Given most folks time tables, I should be packaging next Friday and sampling off my uKeg in...10 days?
I bottle it in 6-7 days and did at 5 days once.

I’m curious what the clarity will be. I completely spaced on my whirlfloc tablet, so that won’t be helping. Wasn’t looking for a particularly clear beer anyways since I used some oats, but I’m hoping it’s not gonna be a murky mess

I used oats and mine never really cleared either. It was always a bit cloudy and actually a pleasant golden-honey-orange color. A brown beer might look less visually appealing. The next time I use it, I won't rush to keg it because I think the finished beer would have benefited from more time to clear in primary.

It kept pushing nearly all the liquid out of my S airlock last night and I ended up having to bust out one of my ole 3 piece airlocks that I never use anymore. Pretty wild. Also really digging the smell, hopefully some of that is staying in the beer and not all getting exhaled out haha.

I used oats and mine never really cleared either. It was always a bit cloudy and actually a pleasant golden-honey-orange color. A brown beer might look less visually appealing. The next time I use it, I won't rush to keg it because I think the finished beer would have benefited from more time to clear in primary.
Yeah, im okay with a little cloudy/hazy if the color is pleasant looking. I'm more concerned about that brownish, swampy looking murk though. OG sample had a pretty nice golden color to it though, so maybe it'll be a happy mistake.

It kept pushing nearly all the liquid out of my S airlock last night and I ended up having to bust out one of my ole 3 piece airlocks that I never use anymore. Pretty wild. Also really digging the smell, hopefully some of that is staying in the beer and not all getting exhaled out haha.

Yeah, im okay with a little cloudy/hazy if the color is pleasant looking. I'm more concerned about that brownish, swampy looking murk though. OG sample had a pretty nice golden color to it though, so maybe it'll be a happy mistake.
I swapped 3 times my last batch in the first day then all was well. I’ve heard it makes a good bitter but I haven’t tried yet. I could die happy drinking a bitter a day. I’d also like to make a stout.

What was the grainbill like? Any dark grains or dark crystal/caramel malts?

Also, for the record, mine was hazy but not murky

This might be a dumb thought,,. Would filling the fermenter warmer (trying to keep as much heat) change how much "break" material stays in suspension? It seems like I get very little junk to keep out of the FV at aprox. 100*.
I do partial boils, so would it be smarter to let the wort cool more/longer and then add warmer/hot water to top it off in the FV in an attempt to start with less junk?.
I use 1/2 tablet of wirlfloc @ 5min left in boil, is that the right way to use it?.
I made the same beer as the first time but "without" the pound of steeped Carared and only 5.2g. of yeasties. So it was an all extract brew. Also found a heating pad that I'm using to keep it as close to the upper 90's as I can.
Any thoughts?.
Thanks, :mug:
Joel B.

What was the grainbill like? Any dark grains or dark crystal/caramel malts?

Also, for the record, mine was hazy but not murky

90% 2 row
5% C40
5% oats

I know judging color by the fermenter is useless, but as it stands there it looks unappetizing. I know it’ll be significantly lighter in reality, but I hate when I forget whirlfloc plus a new quicker turnaround yeast. I’m sure it’s just brewer worry.

This might be a dumb thought,,. Would filling the fermenter warmer (trying to keep as much heat) change how much "break" material stays in suspension? It seems like I get very little junk to keep out of the FV at aprox. 100*.
I do partial boils, so would it be smarter to let the wort cool more/longer and then add warmer/hot water to top it off in the FV in an attempt to start with less junk?.
I use 1/2 tablet of wirlfloc @ 5min left in boil, is that the right way to use it?.
I made the same beer as the first time but "without" the pound of steeped Carared and only 5.2g. of yeasties. So it was an all extract brew. Also found a heating pad that I'm using to keep it as close to the upper 90's as I can.
Any thoughts?.
Thanks, :mug:
Joel B.
I don't know but I wouldn't think it matters much. Maybe? As for the whirlfloc, I add Irish moss/whirlfloc at the 10 minute mark (give or take a few minutes) and again I'm not really sure how much difference it makes.

Immocles, my grainbill was very similar and it came out looking nice. I think you will be fine after a bit of conditioning. The foam had a slightly off white color that I liked too. Of course, YMMV.

I kegged mine at 10 days. It tastes clean, but definitely cloudy and I'm noticing weird chunks in the first few pours. Not sure if I sucked up some trub by mistake (I am using a new fermentor), or if more precipitated out in the kegerator. Tastes good though.

20200810_163352.jpg

20200810_163442.jpg

I have not used this yeast but plan too in the future but comments about cloudiness has me wondering what is the cause.

One thing I have noticed from time to time is my wort will turn cloudy while chilling(assuming cold break) and stay cloudy until I get close to 70 or 80F. When warmer than that temp the cold break does not flocculate.

I wonder if pitching at 90 or 100F for some worts prevents the cold break from flocculating. Additionally if the wort was chilled to the point where the cold break drops then warmed back up to pitching temp(90F+) would the resulting beer be more clear.

@ba-brewer That's what I was wondering too. I wish I would have thought about it before I made this batch I would have tried just that. So far that's the only thing i would call a negative about this yeast. If I have to let it sit for a week or so to clear, it kind-of defeats the speedy fermentation angle of it.
Regardless, I'll continue to use it, I'm not taking any beers to comps so as long as it does what I like it for it's OK with me.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

I'm really happy with the pale ale I made with this kveik yeast. It's a real game changer for summer brewing. I think I'm going to use the slurry this weekend to make an amber ale. Just munich 6, victory and C120, I'm thinking.

Does anyone know - how much of the harvested slurry do I actually need? I'm assuming that the usual rule of thumb would be too high of a cell count for this beast.

Also, based on comments above, I'm going to chill this next batch down below 80F, then ramp back up to 90F. I'm curious to know if it will clear more (or sooner) than my pale ale.

Bottled today and I’m on the fence. Obviously it’s quite early, but just not getting the hops that I normally do. I do pick up a little orange, butthat’s about it. I used my normal pale ale hopping, but added a whirlpool charge. I know that some bubbles and time will help a bit, but I’m underwhelmed at this point.
I don’t mind the hazy color though. Bad pic but I can live with it
0BEFFDFC-5362-4109-B02B-23A427752E45.jpeg

Bottled today and I’m on the fence. Obviously it’s quite early, but just not getting the hops that I normally do.

Hmm, I'm not experiencing that with mine. If anything, the hops are really noticeable and I only added 3 ounces to the boil (5 gallons). Are you using a new batch of hops?

I'm really happy with the pale ale I made with this kveik yeast. It's a real game changer for summer brewing. I think I'm going to use the slurry this weekend to make an amber ale. Just munich 6, victory and C120, I'm thinking.

Does anyone know - how much of the harvested slurry do I actually need? I'm assuming that the usual rule of thumb would be too high of a cell count for this beast.

Also, based on comments above, I'm going to chill this next batch down below 80F, then ramp back up to 90F. I'm curious to know if it will clear more (or sooner) than my pale ale.
I use 1/2 teaspoon of slurry for a 1.3 gallon batch. And if some sticks to the cup then I still pitched enough

Bottled today and I’m on the fence. Obviously it’s quite early, but just not getting the hops that I normally do. I do pick up a little orange, butthat’s about it. I used my normal pale ale hopping, but added a whirlpool charge. I know that some bubbles and time will help a bit, but I’m underwhelmed at this point.
I don’t mind the hazy color though. Bad pic but I can live with it
View attachment 693912
I think the hops do not come out as well in my experience. I never dry hop so there is that. I’ve been happy though with my 40-50 IBu pales with it

I think the hops do not come out as well in my experience. I never dry hop so there is that. I’ve been happy though with my 40-50 IBu pales with it
Same, I often skip dry hops depending which fermenter I am using. But this is a recipe that I've brewed about half of a dozen times and theres usually a good kick at packaging. The only variable besides the yeast is moving my flameout to a 185 whirlpool, which will lessen the bitterness, but should pop the fruits. Still hanging in the mid 30s for ibu.

Hmm, I'm not experiencing that with mine. If anything, the hops are really noticeable and I only added 3 ounces to the boil (5 gallons). Are you using a new batch of hops?

Admittedly, the cascade I used was from last fall, but I've brewed an IPA and hopped a lager somewhat recently with it with no problems. Plus I vac seal and freeze after uses.

I'm hoping it was just a strange bottling anomaly. I normally do not package until 3 weeks have gone by, but made an extreme exception in this case. Perhaps its a bit of yeast bite covering it up that will mellow out in a couple weeks. Will let ya'll know!

I pitched my harvested kveik slurry to a second batch of beer yesterday and I'm observing some differences.

The slurry I used was one week old and I pitched two tablespoons of it to a 1.050 5.5 gallon amber ale. This was at 6pm last night. By 10pm, the airlock was lifting, but almost no signs of activity otherwise. The first batch was going full tilt by this time. This morning it was fermenting, but sluggishly. As of 5pm, it has flatlined again.

Either I under-pitched, or it fermented the whole batch last night in stealth ninja mode. I'm not discounting this, as the room its fermenting in smelled strongly of fruity hops and yeast this morning.

Perhaps its a bit of yeast bite covering it up that will mellow out in a couple weeks. Will let ya'll know!

It could be this. I keg rather than bottle, but I noticed some yeast bite on the first pour and it had me wondering initially if I packaged too soon. Two days later it mellowed out and the hops and malt came through nicely.

Thats what I like to hear. Gives me some feeling of hope anyway. I have case bottled and another gallon racked into my uKeg. Dunno when I'll take the first pull off the uKeg...maybe tonight, maybe Wednesday night. Will report back!

Brewed my house Pale Ale to spec (10 gal), swapped the yeast for dry Voss kveik. Intended to split a pack between the two fermenters, but my internal autopilot took over and I pitched a pack each. Brewed another beer right after, and when I was getting ready to leave the restaurant 4 hours later, Krausen started to form already and there was a lot of activity. Just to be sure I swapped to a blowoff tube. We'll see how it went when I get in in the morning.

So I took a pull tonight for science. It does seem to be mellowing and melding. I guess just because I can bottle that soon doesn’t mean I really have to, haha. It’s not completely where I expect it to be, but it’s closer. I generally enjoy my bottle conditioned beers way more than my force carbed pints, so my hopes are pretty high when I start chucking bottles in the fridge.
C73B6821-0228-4E38-9CCC-E7625E3A2AA9.jpeg

Immocles pull for science love this term in relation to beer. Give it a week in the keg before tasting. Made a big difference in mine. Now to wait another week and see how bottled fairs.

I should have honestly known better but the idea of a quick turn around fascinated me, haha.

Either I under-pitched, or it fermented the whole batch last night in stealth ninja mode. I'm not discounting this, as the room its fermenting in smelled strongly of fruity hops and yeast this morning.
Interested in this. Question, did you oxygenate well? I thought I read somewhere it's important to do so on re-pitching more so than first dry use.
Cheers,
Joel B.

Interested in this. Question, did you oxygenate well? I thought I read somewhere it's important to do so on re-pitching more so than first dry use.
Cheers,
Joel B.

I did. I stirred vigorously, but I also pass the wort through a fine mesh strainer which aerates the crap out of it.

Back