LALBREW® VOSS KVEIK ALE YEAST

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a great idea! I'm using a wort aerator (piece of plastic in the transfer hose), but why not both!

I suspect that it aerates to a very respectable level. When the wort goes through mine, it comes through the other side as a very fine spray.

EDIT: spelling mistake

Last edited:
Tasted my Voss Kveik APA after three days and it has a very fruity almost wine-like nose to it. Different but very pleasant. It also seems that the bitterness is less pronounced

I should have honestly known better but the idea of a quick turn around fascinated me, haha.
Wow did it clear up nice leaving it to chill for a week.
IMG_20200821_194621444.jpg

Mine is clearing too. I gave it 24 hours in the kegerator before chilling, as I've become accustomed to doing with my forced carbonation brews. If I don't, most beers regardless of yeast strain don't clear well.

Also... as my kveik pale ale matures, I'm noticing something about this Voss yeast. I'll be damned if it doesn't have a kölsch-like quality to it. There's a definite background flavor that reminds me of the WY2565 "white wine" characteristic.

EDIT: which is good, because I was thinking about doing a kölsch next. Also, that suggests to me that this strain does produce esters.

Last edited:
I’m still not in love with it. Perhaps I underpitched a bit and it’s throwing too much of that orange flavor around. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a bad flavor, but just not what I was looking for in this particular brew. I think pitching higher and fermenting lower would have gotten me into a cleaner territory. Next time! ( or maybe this overly orange beer will grow on me)

Also, a week and a half into the ukeg and it’s still hazy as can be. I don’t hate it, but I’m soooo used to clear beers. Doesn’t seem to be that murky gross haze though, so it’s all good, for now anyways.

I’m still not in love with it. Perhaps I underpitched a bit and it’s throwing too much of that orange flavor around. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a bad flavor, but just not what I was looking for in this particular brew. I think pitching higher and fermenting lower would have gotten me into a cleaner territory. Next time! ( or maybe this overly orange beer will grow on me)

Also, a week and a half into the ukeg and it’s still hazy as can be. I don’t hate it, but I’m soooo used to clear beers. Doesn’t seem to be that murky gross haze though, so it’s all good, for now anyways.

I don't pick up any orange in mine at all. Theres a definite kölsch-like nose as I mention above. Could it be that the hops are expressing differently? What are you using besides cascade? I get orange sometimes from sterling hops.

Centennial at 60. Cascade late addition and both in the whirlpool. It’s a recipe I’ve brewed a few times and never had this amount of orange in it. Like I said, not a bad thing but not at what i was after or expecting. Alterations can always be made in the future

Also... as my kveik pale ale matures, I'm noticing something about this Voss yeast. I'll be damned if it doesn't have a kölsch-like quality to it. There's a definite background flavor that reminds me of the WY2565 "white wine" characteristic.
Got that wine nose too, very strongly! Love it! It definitely has a very different profile from the standard US-05 ferment of the same recipe, but I enjoy it immensely. Kegged it today, added some gelatin to clear it up, will carb tomorrow and bottle on Thursday. I'll shoot some pics.

Bottled and tasted my finished Kveik Pale Ale compared to the US-05 version and they were surprisingly similar! I'll take the 5 day process for commercial purposes though :D

I also get a white wine like flavor from the Voss depending on they type of beer it is fermenting or prior to dry hop. I did an all pilsner beer 1oz Saaz @ 5min fermented with voss at lower temps and it was my favorite beer of the summer. Had that white wine thing.

I also get a white wine like flavor from the Voss depending on they type of beer it is fermenting or prior to dry hop. I did an all pilsner beer 1oz Saaz @ 5min fermented with voss at lower temps and it was my favorite beer of the summer. Had that white wine thing.

"white wine" like a kolschy thing, a bit dry dark back of tongue, or bright tangy tartness thing sides/front of tongue?
I am just curious as I will try this (eventually) but just wondering.

As an update to my batch. It's been packaged about 3 weeks, so this week would normally be the week I open my first bottle, instead I have drank about a gallon of it already...
But anyhoo,
Its definitely gotten better. I took a small pull off the ukeg and its really coming into stride. I haven't opened a bottle in about a week or so, but I started throwing them in the beer fridge since I finally have a little space ( rest will go in when the ukeg kicks in a day or two). Hopefully they're in similar or better shape than what I have in the growler and I might not be embarrassed to bring them to share at my draft on Sunday. I'm mostly happy with where its at even though I'm not super into the orange flavor that I coaxed out of it. It seems to be fading out now, and letting some hop poke through. She's still hazy, but I can live with that. Makes it look fancy.

Made a tried and true @Yooper Haus Pale using the full pkg dried Voss. I'm used to a couple days of seeing the exotherm ramp up, then back down, on the temp logging. This one was done in 16-18 hours from pitch. A little orange nose from the resulting airlock (ferm in keg, blow through to purge another keg, then to jug-o-starsan), but also Cascade coming out. Will keep at 90 the rest of week then 40F a few days and xfr to purged serving keg.
1599574705139.png

"white wine" like a kolschy thing, a bit dry dark back of tongue, or bright tangy tartness thing sides/front of tongue?

For me it's mostly a fruity, Pinot Grigio like aroma more than a flavor. Definitely also getting heaps of orange in the first stages of fermentation. Got the second identical batch fermenting for 24 hours now, already went from 1.051 to 1.019!

White wine as in slightly sweet and fruity. Kind of like a riesling.

I'm brewing a kölsch this weekend with my remaining half pack of yeast. I'm curious to know if it can produce the appropriate level of esters in a stripped-down beer.

My second batch fermented out in 3 days (1 x 11g pack for 10 gallons) and will be kegged on Monday.. Grain to glass in a week, love it!

Update. Day 5, into 40F “cool crash”. Day 6, xfr to previously ferm gas purged keg. Recall this is a Cascade only pale ale. The flavor is orange. Weird orange. Will put in gas and wait a week. I am definitely not sure about this.

Update. Day 5, into 40F “cool crash”. Day 6, xfr to previously ferm gas purged keg. Recall this is a Cascade only pale ale. The flavor is orange. Weird orange. Will put in gas and wait a week. I am definitely not sure about this.
Sounds like my experience. I also used it in a cascade pale ale. Late addition cascade, whirlpool/hopstand cascade and centennial. Very orange.

Very strange. I haven't detected any orange at all in either of my batches, and one of them was a cascade pale ale. I wouldn't mind orange though, to be honest.

Very strange. I haven't detected any orange at all in either of my batches, and one of them was a cascade pale ale. I wouldn't mind orange though, to be honest.
Well, apparently my notes call me a liar, it is not completely Cascade only, but majorly.
0.35oz Magnum 12.4% at 30m
1oz Cascade 6.9% at 15
1oz Amarillo 8.1% at FO
4oz Cascade home grown whole cone at FO
Cool to 95F, pitch 11g sachet of Lallemand Voss, temp control set to 90F

I've just ordered the Lutra Kviek in the hopes that it has the high temp, quick ferment but cleaner esters.

I made this yesterday and I'm really keen to know if it's passable as a kölsch.

Viewer advisory: the following contains non-traditional ingredients and BJCP purists may want to avert their eyes or have fainting couches at the ready.

KVÖLSCH
5.5 gal, 1.047, 5% ABV, 26 IBU
91.5% 2 Row
6% Wheat
2.5% Victory
Chinook @ 60. 22 IBU.
1 oz Crystal @ 10. 4 IBU.
Lallemand Voss (half packet)

I will direct my health insurance provider in your direction when asked about my head trauma due to vasovagal syncope.

UPdate Day 7. I've never tried a 7 day old beer. The orangey/piney/farmhouseishness is unique, and it's still hazy, but this is pretty wild. For me at least. We'll see what happens in a week.
1600124213229.png

are we doing 1/2 packets of this in 5gal "nominal" SG (below 1.060) for the esters?
Because we can?

Because I read that 1/2 a packet in 5 gallons is more than enough, and also because I only had 1/2 a packet left. I do think I had more esters at this pitching rate. I likely over-pitched the slurry I used on my last batch and I'm not picking up as much of the white wine nose on that one. Next time I think I'll try 1/3 packet (5g).

I am beginning to wonder whether my flameout amarillo ounce, accentuated or even provided the orange notes

Yooper-wegian, or Viking Pale:
9 tasters, one said "no thanks, too yeasty", 8 said "wow, it is great", nobody but NOBODY complained about the dark orange. They also bring their own and it ranges from Tree House to Amstel Light.

Yeah, there's a range there.

Did the complaint of “too yeasty” happen to bring Amstel Light and invert your hb bottle prior to said complaint?

Did the complaint of “too yeasty” happen to bring Amstel Light and invert your hb bottle prior to said complaint?
Interestingly enough, no. The 'a bit yeasty' guy usually has Athletic Brewing nonalcoholic ipa.

Brewed a 100% Nelson Sauvin IPA with this. Finished in 24 hours, kegged in 4 days. 7.5%. Definitely get the white wine thing (though I would, given the Nelson) and a slight earthiness as well. Really nice beer overall.

Has anyone encountered a chalky mouthfeel / finish with this yeast?

No, but I have noticed that it matures and has a cleaner profile after a few weeks in the keg. I have an amber kegged at the moment that uses munich as the base malt. It was really good at the start but the malt didn't come through as much as I expected. I wouldn't describe it as yeasty (other than the white wine thing) but it had a prickliness to it early on. Not in a bad way though. About 4 weeks in and it's a different beer. It has cleared and has a nice malt backbone to it.

I kegged my kolsch yesterday and recorded unexpectedly high 89% attenuation. I had mashed at 150F for 90 minutes, and it went from 1.048 to 1.005.

For comparison, a previous batch mashed at 154F gave me 79% attenuation.

Last edited:
So recently brewed a "Hazy DIPA" with the Dried Voss Kveik, and wow that stuff is fast and extremely attentive. Pitched 2 11g packets rehydrated for a 6 gallon batch. OG was 1.074, Finished right around 1.008 :oops::oops:. Didn't expect it to eat up so much sugar but I also have experienced really high attenuation in the past with the stuff. Thought it was gonna eat through the fermenter and consume my whole house. Anyone else have it take a big beer down so low?

Tastes and smells amazing, very fruit-forward nose. The yeast works really well for the NEIPA style OTHER THAN being maybe a bit higher attenuating than other strains used commonly.
Thinking now that pitching 2 packets even at a higher gravity was overkill. I had 2 on hand and did it without much thought, but maybe next time I will try the same recipe with 1 packet.
Are you all rehydrating based on Lallemand's recommendations? Or pitching straight in?

I kegged my kolsch yesterday and recorded unexpectedly high 89% attenuation. I had mashed at 150F for 90 minutes, and it went from 1.048 to 1.005.

For comparison, a previous batch mashed at 154F gave me 79% attenuation.

What temp did ya happen to ferment at? I know we've been talking in another thread about this yeast lol. Pitched this Saturday at 430pm in the mid 70's F. Got a space heater and set the ferment temp to 100F. Ended up hitting that in about 2 hours or so. By 730pm I had full Krausen. It's now Monday morning (36 hours or so in) and it's almost done. So much so that if it's done tonight I'll give it the ol taste test and start cold crashing tomorrow for 48 hours at 33F, gelatin for 48 hours, then bottle condition for 3 weeks.

What temp did ya happen to ferment at? I know we've been talking in another thread about this yeast lol. Pitched this Saturday at 430pm in the mid 70's F. Got a space heater and set the ferment temp to 100F. Ended up hitting that in about 2 hours or so. By 730pm I had full Krausen. It's now Monday morning (36 hours or so in) and it's almost done. So much so that if it's done tonight I'll give it the ol taste test and start cold crashing tomorrow for 48 hours at 33F, gelatin for 48 hours, then bottle condition for 3 weeks.

I fermented mine at 90F. I haven't used any post-boil clearing agents, but it's clearing up at a predictable rate. I have a kveik porter in the fermentor that I really need to keg as well, and I'm curious to find out how it treats darker styles.

Back