LALBREW® VOSS KVEIK ALE YEAST

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pitched a full pack onto a clean Cream Ale thatr was sitting @ 85F and I fermented it @ 82F. It was fully fermented in <30 hours. I found it contributed a subtle lemon-lime flavour. Cold crashed o ver 3 days and ended up clear as a whistle. I served the keg up at my pool party and it was the most popular of my 5 beer, by far. Perhaps my most popular ever.

I just finished the exact same brew 2 days ago and fermented this one @ 100F. Completely done in <20 hours. Cold crashing now. Can't wait to see what, if any, flavour profile changes I note.

Be aware that this yeast will attenuate dryer than specified if given the time. While carbed enough to be drinkable after 5 days, it will continue to ferment for weeks after. I’ve only bottled 1 batch so far using Kveik after 5 days when fermentation seem to be complete, and I was in the specified attenuation range. Next time I will give it at least a few more days before bottling, and I will prime on the low side.
Thanks for the reply,
I'm going to use this dry Voss Kveik on a 1.077ish extract beer, projected 1.013 FG. Pitch 5-6 g yeast @90-95* and wrap in blanket.
Just so I understand this,,,
1) If the "numbers" tell me it's done fermenting I should still wait several days before I bottle. (ie, ferments in 3 days I should still wait +3-4 days more to bottle)

2) When I do bottle, I should use less priming sugar. (ie, 2.4 vols = 4.2 oz, use 4.0 0z. instead)

Am I following your recommendations correctly? I don't want to have any problems in this new adventure with Kveik. Any other tips or tricks?
Oh, one more question,,, How much kraeusen to expect with Kveik?

Thanks, :mug:
Joel B.
(EDIT) 5 g. batch fyi.

Last edited:
I wait a few days after it’s “finished” Usually 6-7 days after I brew

I use the normal amount of priming sugar.

this yeast will populate like a rabbit so pitch less than you would with anything else. I do 1.3 gallon batches and pitch a teaspoon. It won’t blowout as easy since it drops quicker. It will bubble away and scare you though

I started with an OG of 1.073 Five days later it was at 1.010. Two days later it was the same, so I bottled. I force carbed a botle to sample (before priming) and thought it tasted on the sweet side. I primed with honey to 2.5

A week after bottling, it was almost fully carbed. After 2 weeks I thought the carbonation was right about where it should be. Another week, made a considerable difference in both the carbonation and the dryness. Yet another week lent more carbonation as well as dryness, which was fine with me. I refrigerated the rest to stop the refermentation, but by that time it was over carbonated to the extent of geyser or volcano proportions, but not bombs. The taste difference was a major shift as well.

My thoughts are I rushed to bottle too soon due to all the hype I've been reading on how fast this yeast ferments. I should have given it a week or so more in the fermentor. It may have been the honey I used was sweeter than what the calculator spected. Probably a combination of the 2.

Joshua has some good advice. Give it a week after you think it's finished, before you bottle. Less than 2 weeks is still very fast for a 9% beer! Give it 3 weeks in the bottle to fully condition. Of course if you're like me, you can still sample along the way to check the progress ;)

Of course if you're like me, you can still sample along the way to check the progress ;)
Thanks for the input.
One of my self imposed problems in home brewing is sampling. I do it too often during primary fermentation (me thinking it won't do it's thing if I don't check and take a sample) and after bottling. ( I seldom end up with much beer when it's actually in it's prime.)
I do my best but it's a flaw I guess. With my setup it's hard to have a good, full pipe line. I guess I should add some store bought to it,, might help. I wish somebody would sell a can or two of patients, I would need a case.
Back on topic. I'll add 3-4 days to it's finish. Being It won't need baby sitting it will be less of an issue. (just thinking/hoping). I'll still be inside a shorter time frame. The bottling issue is something I'm a bit nervoise about. I'll do some research and make a decision when I need to. Any body, feel free to help me on this.
I will do my best to document this batch, if for nothing else, my records. I have bought BS2 and still don't really use it for all it can do.
Sorry for the windy post, I'm enjoying my last creation, (several) a dunkle-wiessen-bock kind of thing. It's pretty good. Gave a sample to my bro and he's not really a beer drinker,, says he'd pay money for it. Ha,,good one, but it made me feel good.
Brew on all, thanks again for any input.:mug:
:cask:
Joel B.

Thanks for the reply,
I'm going to use this dry Voss Kveik on a 1.077ish extract beer, projected 1.013 FG. Pitch 5-6 g yeast @90-95* and wrap in blanket.
Just so I understand this,,,
1) If the "numbers" tell me it's done fermenting I should still wait several days before I bottle. (ie, ferments in 3 days I should still wait +3-4 days more to bottle)

2) When I do bottle, I should use less priming sugar. (ie, 2.4 vols = 4.2 oz, use 4.0 0z. instead)

Am I following your recommendations correctly? I don't want to have any problems in this new adventure with Kveik. Any other tips or tricks?
Oh, one more question,,, How much kraeusen to expect with Kveik?

Joel B.
(EDIT) 5 g. batch fyi.
Something else to consider is how much yeast/trub will end up in the bottles if you bottle it really quickly. I kegged mine way too fast (after three days) and wish I would have waited a week longer just for that. It also tasted a little green after a week in the keg. It is now about two weeks old and starting to taste pretty decent. Another week will probably help it even more.

Brewed a tripel with Voss a few weeks ago, bottled 3 weeks ago, before I headed off to Oz. To me, it tastes a bit sweeter than my normal tripel, but my boss says he doesn't notice any sweeter taste. At 10.5%, after two 500 ml bottles, I'm not tasting the sweetness that I found nasty before. More experimentation may be called for.

Be aware that this yeast will attenuate dryer than specified if given the time. While carbed enough to be drinkable after 5 days, it will continue to ferment for weeks after. I’ve only bottled 1 batch so far using Kveik after 5 days when fermentation seem to be complete, and I was in the specified attenuation range. Next time I will give it at least a few more days before bottling, and I will prime on the low side.
This would worry me. Do you feel that the precautions are sufficient to safely bottle beer from this yeast?

Interesting - that hasn't been my experience with Voss (Omega isolate).

Hi all, great thread.
Well I got my stuff, was expecting late week arrival but I'm looking at is a I type. Ordered Thurs. night and got to my door this after noon. Good job Northern Brewer/UPS.:ban:
Now the bad part,, I have to quit thinking and get off the pot.
I'm going to just use half of the 11g packet of the dry Voss Kveik in a 5gal, 1.077 extract wort, direct pitch. Shooting for a 90/95* temp ( might be 100*, just depends,,) @ pitch, "pig in a blanket",,, Please STOP me if this you see a fault in my plan.
:mug:
Thanks,

Joel B.

Brewing with this soon and planning to pitch half a pack. @kartracer2 please let us know how it worked for you.
1/2 a pack for a 5 gallon batch is plenty. I pitched a little less than that in a 1.048 beer, had activity in three hours, and reached final gravity in about three days. My friend pitched at about the same rate in a similar 240L (60ish gallon) batch and got similar results.

@Tyler B , @Dave Sarber ,Thanks for the input, I have half a pack stuck in my head so that's what I going to use. At 1.077 O.G. I just want to make sure I have enough this first time. I guess my brain needs a base line to something that works OK before I go messing around too much. This yeast just goes against every thing that is preached about pitch rates.
@rhys333 , Will post as I go, I have a few things a little higher on the list and if things go right I should get to it yet to day. One advantage of being an extract brewer, a lot less setup to getting a brew done. :rock:

Joel B.:mug:

Well i got my batch made with the Voss Kveik. I ended up feeding it around 5.8 g. of the pack.
First thing, the details, 5.8 g. @ 95, aprox 7:15 P.M,,,, airlock burps around 9:00,,, full tilt bubbling by 10:30 P.M. Not believing it to be honest, but yeah. It cooled to abt 90* @ 8:30 but back up to 93* as I type this. (11:00 P.M. central time)

Second thing was the way the yeast "flowed" when I sprinkled it on the wort. Don't know if it was something about the wort or the yeast but the yeast "grains" didn't clump at all. They spread out and ended up covering 90% of the top of the wort. That has not happened to me before. Shortly there after they seemed to disappear. Hmmm Some kind of surface tension I guess,,,?

Wish I had one of those Tilt gizmo's,, probably could watch the numbers change (LOL) like my old Ford PU with a 390 in it. You could see the gas gauge go down as you drove. :bott:

More news as it happens, now back to your regularly scheduled HBT,,,

Joel B.

@Joshua Hughes Yeah, worked out pretty good. Only had to use 5 of my ice bottles to cool to pitch.
If someone reads just that post not knowing any thing about the topic I'm sure they say "what a fuch-up." (LOL). But yeah, it's going to be game changer for me if this thing works out liked planed!!. :ban:

Joel B.

Well i got my batch made with the Voss Kveik. I ended up feeding it around 5.8 g. of the pack.
First thing, the details, 5.8 g. @ 95, aprox 7:15 P.M,,,, airlock burps around 9:00,,, full tilt bubbling by 10:30 P.M. Not believing it to be honest, but yeah. It cooled to abt 90* @ 8:30 but back up to 93* as I type this. (11:00 P.M. central time)

Second thing was the way the yeast "flowed" when I sprinkled it on the wort. Don't know if it was something about the wort or the yeast but the yeast "grains" didn't clump at all. They spread out and ended up covering 90% of the top of the wort. That has not happened to me before. Shortly there after they seemed to disappear. Hmmm Some kind of surface tension I guess,,,?

Wish I had one of those Tilt gizmo's,, probably could watch the numbers change (LOL) like my old Ford PU with a 390 in it. You could see the gas gauge go down as you drove. :bott:

More news as it happens, now back to your regularly scheduled HBT,,,

Joel B.
This matches my experience with the yeast pretty much exactly. I also noticed the yeast looked a bit different from what I was used to. A darker tan color and bigger clumps of yeast. Maybe I'm just used to Fermentis yeast, I don't know. Also, my brew attenuated a touch more than I would have liked, but maybe that was my mash temp. Of course that might be good for an extract beer. Hope it turns out well for you.

Holy socks !!! 7/22/20,, 1:00 AM. 94.2* krousen rising,, have blow off tube setup ready,,,almost don't want to go to bed,, this is crazy,, like watching a weeks worth of fermenting in just hours,, Yeah,, it's just amazing me,,, almost like the watching your very first ferment but is in 3-4x speed !! a way different kind of baby sitting !!. Loving it (LOL),, got to love home brewing !!. gawd,, I sound like a kid with a new toy,!!!

Joel B.

Not really clumps. Just seemed like larger grains than what I'm used to. Glad you're enjoying it though.

Holy socks !!! 7/22/20,, 1:00 AM. 94.2* krousen rising,, have blow off tube setup ready,,,almost don't want to go to bed,, this is crazy,, like watching a weeks worth of fermenting in just hours,, Yeah,, it's just amazing me,,, almost like the watching your very first ferment but is in 3-4x speed !! a way different kind of baby sitting !!. Loving it (LOL),, got to love home brewing !!. gawd,, I sound like a kid with a new toy,!!!

Joel B.
Have you tried WLP530/WY3787?
IMG_20200213_161525276_HDR.jpg

Bottled today my 1st Lal Quake (a farmhouse-style with Simpson's MO Low Colour and wheat, rye, honey 8% each). Kept on lees for 2 weeks, fermentation complete in 5 days.
Not much orange esters but to my surprise it tasted a bit smoky. Same smoky phenolic note as in my MJ29 saisons. Perhaps it might be what some reviewers call "weirdness".
I enjoy the smoky note very much in my saisons. It was a bit unexpected to get it with this yeast but it's definitely there and it's spot on the style.

No it wasn't contamination. I've got a diastaticus contamination some time before and now I have separate fermentation setups for diastaticus and regular (kveik included) yeasts.

Maybe brew early morning next time. You could have a whole day of entertainment.
+100 on the entertainment value, some times it doesn't take much. (ROFLMAO)

Have you tried WLP530/WY3787?
No but I have had some wild ferments with 3068 but the speed of this one is crazy fast and at 95*!!!
I don't know why I'm so enthralled with this one,,,,, maybe I need to get out a little more often,,,

Joel B.

Just a mindless up date.:rolleyes:
After 24 hrs,,, still keeping around 94* F,,,krausen fell a little bit but still has a nice fluffy pillow,, airlock still going crazy,,, 1.079 to 1.040 already.
Question,,,, what % attenuation you guys getting from your Kveik?

Joel B.

Well call me a slacker, I promised to kind of document a "running total" on my Dry Voss Kveik deal.
Here is Thursday's,,,, report: S.G. = 1.020 @ 88*
and the numbers for Friday; S.G. = 1.015 @ 86*
As you can see it's cooling down and also slowing down as I guess would be expected. @ 1.015 it's still going to be a boozy beer, 8.5%. I'm OK with that but it's still going, abet slowly. Now I'm a bit worried that it's going to be very dry, That makes me think about what I will do the next time, but I'm not "Really" worried. We"ll see what one more day brings.
Oh, not sure if any body has seen this but it's a video about Kveik by the guy that helped Lallemand develop their dry Voss Kveik Strain. (I think). If nothing else it's a good watch, very informative, at least to me.

This page is worth a look about with some of the Q&A's from it.
https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/canada/news/questions-to-special-guest-lars-marius-garshol/I hope the links work,, :mug:

Joel B.

Oh, not sure if any body has seen this but it's a video about Kveik by the guy that helped Lallemand develop their dry Voss Kveik Strain. (I think). If nothing else it's a good watch, very informative, at least to me.

I bought his book. It's a good read, especially if you like traveling. Also interesting the differences in how the traditional farmers brew and what they put in the mix.

Did my first Lalbrew Voss today. Went with an IPA. Pitched 6 grams on 5.5 gallons of 1.078 wort at 94°. I've got a heating pad in the fermentation chamber holding it at 95°. Thanks to everyone for all the advice. "New toy" is absolutely right!

Did my first Lalbrew Voss today. Went with an IPA. Pitched 6 grams on 5.5 gallons of 1.078 wort at 94°. I've got a heating pad in the fermentation chamber holding it at 95°. Thanks to everyone for all the advice. "New toy" is absolutely right!
Good plan. I kind of lost my heat and (no heating pad) it seemed that when it went below 90* it really slowed down. It has all but stopped now, losing only a few points in the last couple of days. I have to remember though it has been less than 6 full days and it has chewed through a 1.079 wort to around 1.013, still impressive in my book. Pretty sure if I could have kept a 95* temp it would be done by now
The next thing,,,is it going to clear up any more, it's rather hazy at this point. I'm not so sure it will but I'm going to give it a couple of days to see what it does. I steeped a pound of CaraRed to give it some color, not sure if that was a good idea or if would have made any difference. More to come later,,,
Joel B.

I've read that even though Voss may hit terminal gravity within a few days, some brewers have gotten good results by giving it two weeks. Maybe it works similar to more familiar yeasts in that it spends the additional time cleaning up and flocking.

Quick update for anyone interested. In 48 hours @ constant 95° S.G. dropped from 1.078 to 1.025. Underpitchd 6 grams in 5.5 gallons with 4tsp of Fermax. I had activity in the blowoff within 3 hours. After 2 days, activity has slowed, but it's still sending bubbles from the bottom. I switched to a regular vapor lock and am hoping it will continue to drop to my target of 1.014.

@Greytop , sounds good. It "should" go to 1.014, with my single experience so far. Mine stopped @ 1.013 and would have been happy @ .016. Mine is setting waiting to see if it clears up a bit more. Been pretty much done for a couple of days and today has been a week from pitching. Seems to be clearing a little but not very quickly. I kind of need to get it to bottles in the next day of so,, supply pipe line and consumption running real close at this point. :inbottle:

Joel B.

Well, I brewed a pale ale this evening. Stats: 1.053, 5.5 gallons, starting temp 87F. I pitched 5.5g (half a packet) of kveik at 6:00pm and it was already bubbling by 9:30pm. It's also the first time I'm using my new Anvil Brew Bucket, which is smaller than my other fermentors. It's my only pet peeve about it and I wish they had made the thing a half gallon bigger. I thought it wise to attach a blow off tube.

Yea , a good idea. I didn't need it but started with one. 5g. in a 6g fermonster and it came close to the top but not quite.
Mine not flocking like I hoped, but that's not so important on this beer,, it's been an experiment from the beginning
Joel B.

I ended up not needing the blow-off either, despite it being almost violently active for the past 24 hours. Speaking of which, it's now 6pm on day two and the airlock has flatlined.

Back