LALBREW® VOSS KVEIK ALE YEAST

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pitched the Whole 11 gram sachet. No prior rehydration

I'm brewing mine on Saturday, but I'd love to know how that batch turns out. My last brew used a water profile halfway between Vista, CA and Bru'n Water's pale ale profile. Think I'll emphasize the hops a touch more this time.

I'm brewing mine on Saturday, but I'd love to know how that batch turns out. My last brew used a water profile halfway between Vista, CA and Bru'n Water's pale ale profile. Think I'll emphasize the hops a touch more this time.
I did not adjust water for mine and dry hopped today, this yeast is super fast

Waiting for a Morebeer delivery of the dried Voss. Going to make an American blonde ale wort, throw in a gallon of chardonnay grape juice and then pitch some of the Voss.

Waiting for a Morebeer delivery of the dried Voss. Going to make an American blonde ale wort, throw in a gallon of chardonnay grape juice and then pitch some of the Voss.
nice, it looks like you will be making a Grape Ale; please keep us updated

What kinda pitch rate are folks using for this dry yeast? I've read/listened to different folks over the last year gush about the liquid stuff and they make it sound like they're using a bit of an under pitch and was curious if that carries over to the dry. I'm a smaller volume brewer and generally get 2 pitches per fresh packet, would I be able to stretch that to 3 or 4 with a single voss packet? Or is it generally the slurry that gets under pitched?

I did a 1/4-1/3 of a pack for 1 gallon like i usually Do for other yeasts. I wasn’t looking for the yeast flavor just speed though

So, standard pitch rate is about 5-10M/ml for ales, based on strength, etc, right? I read Lars Garshol's book and blog, as well as Milk the Funk, so they have suggestions, but just eyeballing it - my first Kveik was underpitched, about half to a quarter of the normal. About 1/2 a pouch of hothead for a 1.065 OG 5.5 gal brew, no starter, which is something like 3M/ml. Great esters, but took about a week to stop tasting green.

My latest was 1 sachet of Lalbrew Voss for a 1.056OG brew, 5.5 gallons, which is... Uh, I guess about 2.6M/ml, if my math isn't way off. I think It's tasting pretty mature already. No green flavors in the gravity sample. Not quite done yet.

When my wife and I interviewed Gigantic for our blog last year, we tasted a Voss Kveik beer they made. I recall that they underpitched, but not the specific rates because I was super drunk at that point. She might have it in her notes. I feel like it was under 5M/ml, tho.

*Edit* - I also pitched at about 99f/37C with around 10ppm oxygen. Saw airlock activity within 120 minutes, did not rehydrate yeast.

Last edited:
What kinda pitch rate are folks using for this dry yeast? I've read/listened to different folks over the last year gush about the liquid stuff and they make it sound like they're using a bit of an under pitch and was curious if that carries over to the dry. I'm a smaller volume brewer and generally get 2 pitches per fresh packet, would I be able to stretch that to 3 or 4 with a single voss packet? Or is it generally the slurry that gets under pitched?

I did 5.5 gallons of an American Brown ale with a 1/2 teaspoon of Hothead, as recommended at Lars' website, at 90F. That yeast blew through the wort in 3 days. (Also took a silver medal on the Florida homebrew circuit.) About to do a beer with dry Voss - haven't figured out how much to use yet.

Hmmm.

I generally brew 3G batches in 1.050-1.055 gravity range for pale ales/ipa. Most of the time I pitch half a pack of dry yeast if I'm pitching fresh. It kind of sounds like I could get away with using a little less with voss, but maybe starting out I'll use my same pitch rate and tinker with the slurry pitches.

I think maybe the Lalbrew Voss needs some testing for pitch rates? It's been industrially dried, and it's a single strain. So it isn't quite the usual raw kveik animal, and may behave differently?

I think maybe the Lalbrew Voss needs some testing for pitch rates? It's been industrially dried, and it's a single strain. So it isn't quite the usual raw kveik animal, and may behave differently?

Most of the commercial liquid kveiks are single strain. And the Norwegians brewers dry their kveik.

Most of the commercial liquid kveiks are single strain. And the Norwegians brewers dry their kveik.

Yeah but the commercial ones are liquid and the Norwegians use multi strains. ;) And they don't dry it in a huge machine.

The Lalbrew could behave differently I think. Maybe. Do we know, is all I'm asking. Anyone checked out different pitching rates?

Eh, not to start an argument, just as a point of thought - there is probably less difference between a dried single strain kveik and a liquid single strain kveik than there is between a dried "regular" brewing yeast and a liquid "regular" brewing yeast. Laboratory drying process or no, Kveik is well adapted to drying, whereas other brewing yeasts are less so, in theory.

I have no way of testing this. It's purely conjecture. But the Lalbrew result is quite good so far. I'd love to try a mixed culture to compare, but I don't have an avenue to procure any.

Voss can be dried for storage, simply spread the slurry out thinly on parchment that has been sprayed with starsan, in a cookie sheet then cover with a loose fitting sanitized parchment or foil let it dry out. Fold up the parchment ann slip it into a bag or container. It’s a little more meticulous than the yeast rings they used on the farm ;) but its all good.

I've been using mystery Voss out of a ziploc bag for about a year now, and it's one of my favorite yeasts, especially in the summer. I wasn't initially that excited about Lallemand's version of it, but I took another look at the product info today, and noticed this:

Flocculation is very high producing clear beers without filtration or use of process aids.

My Voss brews (beer and cider) have been anything but clear, so suddenly I'm interested in Lallemand's Voss. Does anyone have any experiences (or photos?) to share regarding flocculation?

I think it's supposed to be available in homebrew packs as well.

Also, I wouldn't even worry about pitch rate for esters. Escarpment Labs did a study where they found negligible correlation between pitch rate and ester synthesis in a set of kveiks. Though generalizing this to all kveik may be the wrong thing to do, Voss was one of the kveiks studied.

Link: The impact of pitch rate on kveik ferments
Really? I've found that pitch rates greatly differentiate the taste of the finished product. When I've used a lot I get clean beer and when I've just used a tspoon I've gotten that citrus marmelade. Of course fermentation temps also have a great say in the matter but I've exclusively used Kveik yeast for the last two years. I'm starting to know it.[/QUOTE]

Lallemand Voss Kveik, 1 packet, end of fermentation. Not yet chilled. 5oz of late hops, and 2 in the hopback, so I'm sure that has an impact on clarity. I did nothing to aid in clarifying, because I don't really care that much unless it's needed for the style?

Attachments

• IMG_20200530_185008.jpg
    IMG_20200530_185008.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 397
Lallemand Voss Kveik, 1 packet, end of fermentation. Not yet chilled. 5oz of late hops, and 2 in the hopback, so I'm sure that has an impact on clarity. I did nothing to aid in clarifying, because I don't really care that much unless it's needed for the style?
That's the thing. My farmhouse Voss yeast drops like a bomb scared of air. You can almost see it dropping in the bottle. I had the same murky beer with my lallemand yeast, though my stout I made with the lallemand yeast did clear more. Hard to see i guess being a stout and all.

Eh, typically I make very clear stouts so I get that. Also, this is 1 week total fermentation, so I can't say that it won't clear. I'll try giving the next one longer, see how it goes.

Ok, brewed 3 gallons of the BCS American blonde ale, threw in 1 gallon of chardonnay grape juice and pitched the entire packet of rehydrated Lallemand Voss. Pitch temperature was 95F, and the carboy is sitting in my garage (88F with the door open). The Voss had quite a fruity aroma.
20200531_161247.jpg

I pitched about half the 11g packet dry onto 1.068 OG oxygenated wort at about 90°F. 3 hours later it was bubbling away. 24 hours later, the airlock was slowing down, so I took a gravity reading: ~1.016, and SUPER hazy, totally opaque and pale. I transferred to a keg to finish up under pressure, and at about 40 hours it looks to be totally done.

Next time I'll probably try pitching less, maybe 2.5 grams. I won't know how it's settled out for a couple days as it chills and finishes carbonating. If it tastes great, I won't even bother harvesting yeast - at $1 or $2 per pitch I would just keep a few packets of this on hand.

Pitched yesterday around 4 pm. Was going nuts about 75 minutes later. Air lock has now stopped. Still a little action with the Krausen. Should be a nice few days to clean up. Pitched at 88 and kept it between 82-92.

I made a simple ale with 100g of Mosaic and Lalbrew Voss. Pitched at 38c and most of the ferment was around 32c.

It was quite hazy afterwards so I used bio fine clear and it is now crystal clear.

And it is a very tasty beer. Very strong orange peel and grapefruit aroma and flavour. Maybe my best yet.

I think the pitch temperature would suggest much less is needed than with other yeasts. Hence lager pitch rates being much higher, unless you warm ferment and then you only need a normal 11g packet of dry yeast at close to ale temps. I can see why even a quarter of the normal pitch rate might be applicable at the much higher temperatures for kveik.

Lallemand says 5-10g per hectolitre. David Heath has done a video for Lallemand in which he says that the way the Lalbrew dried version is 'formulated' requires that kind of pitching rate and one pack is enough for up to 22 litres. This may, of course, prove to be not true.

Lallemand says 5-10g per hectolitre. David Heath has done a video for Lallemand in which he says that the way the Lalbrew dried version is 'formulated' requires that kind of pitching rate and one pack is enough for up to 22 litres. This may, of course, prove to be not true.
Looks like
PITCHING R ATE
50-100g/hL to achieve a minimum
of 2.5-5 million viable cells/mL
According to https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/TDS_LPS_BREWINGYEAST_VOSS_ENG_8.5x11.pdf

Yeah 50-100g per hectolitre sorry!
50g/hL equates to 1.9g/gal, or 9.5g for a normal 5 gal/19L batch. I pitched about 5 grams which is half that rate, and it finished completely in less than 2 days, no off flavor. I think we can get away with pitch rates far less than recommended with this yeast, at least if pitched warm. For regular dried Kveik, Lars is recommending 1 tsp per 25L, which would be about 3 grams. This yeast is dried in a way that maximizes viability, I actually wonder if we could go as low as 1 gram per 20L. My next batch I'll try 2.5 grams, and if that works, I'll try another batch with 1 gram.

My beer is delicious, but even after a week in the kegerator and several pints it's not too clear. I didn't use any irish moss or gelatin, and I don't really need a crystal clear beer, but this strain doesn't seem as flocculant as WLP 518 Opshaug Kveik, which dropped like a bomb.

I'vemade 3 beers with it already

A session IS ( a stout basically) wich got clear pretty fast

Then the IS version of that same recipe, for some reason this one remains cloudy to the day, the only difference between those two is the hopping rate as they have the same % of flakes

And as I don't brew full batches, i had some spare yeast from those two that I stored in an empty liquid yeast vial in the freezer, it stayed there for a couple weaks until last friday when i made a single hop Loral Milkshake Double NEIPA, due to that and the OG, I went for a pitching rate of 1'5 gr per litre instead of the 0.5 gr I used for the dark ones, got a really nice cloudy (not murky) aspect on this one, due to the DH I guess

All of them fermented at 30 degrees and all of them where drinkable after 2-3 days, great yeast for the summer

So 1 tsp of slurry for 1 gallon? I was going to go 2 tablespoons
From the reference I linked above:
A good rule of thumb is a teaspoon of slurry for 25 liters of wort. If you do this take care to ensure there is some oxygen in the wort. Old-style splashing by pouring the (cooled) wort from waist height is enough.
1 tsp for 1 gallon would be more than enough.

Doing my first batch with the Lallemand Voss. Just took a reading 48 hours into a blonde/PA. OG was 1.052, it's now at 1.008. Grain bill is Vienna, MO and Carahell, mashed at 63C/145F, fermented at about 35-36C/95-97F. That's 84% attenuation. The same recipe ended up at 1.012 with my good old predictable got-it-from-a-guy-on-the-internet Voss.

Maybe it's just an anomalous reading. I'll check again in the morning, but has anyone had that kind of attenuation with Lallemand Voss?

Doing my first batch with the Lallemand Voss. Just took a reading 48 hours into a blonde/PA. OG was 1.052, it's now at 1.008. Grain bill is Vienna, MO and Carahell, mashed at 63C/145F, fermented at about 35-36C/95-97F. That's 84% attenuation. The same recipe ended up at 1.012 with my good old predictable got-it-from-a-guy-on-the-internet Voss.

Maybe it's just an anomalous reading. I'll check again in the morning, but has anyone had that kind of attenuation with Lallemand Voss?
Yeah. You mashed pretty low so it's not unormal. How's the taste

Back