Lagunitas Hop Stoopid Clone - Straight from Lagunitas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was shooting for 158.

Waaaay too high, I mashed at 149. DIPA are typically finished low to dry it out. With a big beer like this it will already finish a tad higher. I think mine finished at 1.014 with mashing at 149 so unless you want a 1.020 fg I would mash lower.

Thanks for the advice. I got that number from another thread regarding this particular beer. Just tasted it again and the carbonation is there and the flavor is really close,even with all the variants. It's delicious, maybe a little more bitter. Great tasting hop bomb though.

Lagunitas supposedly mashes all of their beers pretty high. I think they also get crazy high attenuation though.

Yeah,I'm pretty certain that I got that number directly from the brewers. It was actually 160 and I thought no way. So i went with158. It's really really close.

The London ale doesn't seem to attenuate real well compared to cali ale, I'd mash lower IMO. And I use a big starter and pure O2.

First batch was w-1056, big starter and plenty of pure o2.
Second batch (fermenting now) I went with London ale, huge starter, and pure o2. Hit the gravity right on the nose. Feeling really good about 2nd attempt. And believe me the first attempt doesn't suck at all.

So I'm finally getting around to wanting to brew this one but i'm trying to figure out why this recipe is calling for 1.074 and the bottle i'm holding in my hand says 1.085.
I see a couple folks referencing that but don't see any answers to the discrepancy.

Anyone?

So I'm finally getting around to wanting to brew this one but i'm trying to figure out why this recipe is calling for 1.074 and the bottle i'm holding in my hand says 1.085.
I see a couple folks referencing that but don't see any answers to the discrepancy.

Anyone?

the bottle is wrong

if the og is 1.085 it's fg would be around 1.024 to hit 8% alcohol

way to high for a dipa

I brewed the recipe Tasty did and I must say its spot on. I was hesisitant about the 4oz of Columbus at 90 min but, its a very very good clone.

I ended up changing it a bit. I decreased IBUs and ABV to make it a little more friendly for the wife. It turned out very very good. More piney than original. When I do it again I will increase the cascade or sub centennial to give a little more citrus, and maybe something for a little more malt backbone ( just personal preference ). Here is the recipe, let me know how it goes if you brew it.

Style: American IPA
Boil Size: 7.89 gal
Color: 5.6 SRM
Bitterness: 72.6 IBUs Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.065 (15.8° P)
Est FG: 1.014 SG (3.7° P)
ABV: 6.7%

Ingredients
Amount Name Type #
1 tbs Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60 min) Misc 1
14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3
0.2 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - First Wort Hops 4
0.7 oz Nugget [13.0%] - Boil 60 min Hops 5
1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15 min) Misc 6
0.5 oz Cascade [5.5%] - Boil 12 min Hops 7
0.5 oz Chinook [13.0%] - Boil 12 min Hops 8
0.5 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 12 min Hops 9
0.5 oz Cascade [5.5%] - Boil 5 min Hops 10
0.2 oz Chinook [13.0%] - Boil 5 min Hops 11
0.5 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 5 min Hops 12
1.0 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 0 min Hops 13
2 pkgs London Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1028) Yeast 14
1.0 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Dry Hop 5 days Hops 15
1.0 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Dry Hop 5 days Hops 16

Notes
After Simcoe flameout, wait 10 min before chilling. Mash 60 min 152.

Thought this would make many people happy.

All-Grain
At 70% efficiency
90 minute boil
OG 1.074

14 lbs 2 row
.5 lb Briess Victory
1 oz Nugget at 90 minutes
5.5 ml Hopshot at 60 minutes
0.65 oz Cascade and 0.65 Chinook at 12 min
1.3 oz Simcoe at flameout, wait 10 min before chilling
Pitch yeast starter of y1028 London Ale

Dry Hop
.77 oz chinook
1.5 oz simcoe
3 oz columbus

Extract
90 minute boil
OG 1.074

10.25 lbs Gold Malt Syrup
.5 lb Briess Victory
1.5 oz Nugget at 90 minutes
6.5 ml Hopshot at 60 minutes
0.65 oz Cascade and 0.65 Chinook at 12 min
1.3 oz Simcoe at flameout, wait 10 min before chilling
Pitch yeast starter of y1028 London Ale

Dry Hop
.77 oz chinook
1.5 oz simcoe
3 oz columbus

http://www.northernbrewer.com/connect/2012/05/lagunitas-hop-stoopid-clone-recipe/

Gonna brew this very soon.
Was this recipe for 5 gallon batch?

Brewed this yesterday, 8 gals to the fermenter. Pre boil volume 10.3 gals at 1.062 gav, gave me a mash eff of 83.5%! Best I've ever gotten. Boiled for 90 minutes, whirlpooled the final hop addition at 180* for 30 minutes. OG came in at 1.070, not sure why it wasn't higher given the pre boil gav. I lost about 3/4 gal in the chiller, lines and due to the trub. Tasted great! In fermentation freezer at 66* give or take.

Can't wait to get this one on tap!

I'll be sure to post up my results. Today I check on it before I headed to work, I have it in my fermentation chamber/freezer and it was bubbling away nicely at 67°.

Actually made me a little giddy seeing it ferment so vigorously while in the freezer. The probe temp in the freezer last night was 65° (same as my basement) and the freezer wasn't running at all as I have the johnson controller set to kick in at 67°. Today I know it kicked on twice while I was down there cleaning up, which tells me the fermentation really kicked into high gear and is really driving up the temp. I can't imagine what the temp would be if this were fermenting without a chamber to control the temp.

I'm expecting this will be a fantastic batch, I can't wait! :mug:

Drinking mine now. Outstanding!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404510708.947359.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just tried this as my first all grain recipe. Everything is within parameters considering my test equipment is somewhat less than top notch. Comes out somewhere near 1.065-1070 o.g. First taste before fermentation was fricking awesome! Had a nice sweet finish with a lasting bitterness for some time after. As suggested on page one of this thread, I adjusted up to 1 oz each of the 12 minute hop addition and let it sit for 30 minutes after flame out.
If this turns out half as good as I expect, Im going to go for a Pliny clone next! :)

Finally brewed this one today. I substituted The hopshot, nugget and Chinook additions with Galena pellets because I have a ton on hand. It's bubbling away like crazy and smells amazing. I'll be sure to post impressions in a month or so.

Very good beer, but haven't done a side by side. I'm glad I made 10 gallons because it's going fast.

Back