Lagering with Wyeast 2112

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FinchSCF

Reaction score
So I've not found a good answer anywhere for lagering with Wyeast 2112 - California Lager. I brewed a Baltic Porter and fermented with this yeast at 65f for a month with the intent to lager for another month starting this week, but Wyeast on their website states that this yeast isn't supposed to ferment cold. My questions:

a) Should I lager this Baltic despite Wyeast's suggestion?

and

b) If so, what temp should I be looking to lager at with this strain?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Remember that lagering isn't the same as fermenting. You fermented at 65 degrees- definitely NOT cold. I ferment that strain much cooler.

Lagering will clean up any excess polyphenols, giving a smoother "cleaner" flavor provile. It's just essentially cold conditioning, and doesn't matter which yeast strain you use. I lager at 34 degrees, just above freezing, for the cleanest flavor.

How cold do YOU ferment 2112 yooper? I have a pack I'm about to use, was thinking of a smoked steam beer or an imitation doppelbock. What are your thoughts on playing around with this yeast and trying something out of the standard cali common?

I typically ferment that strain around 59F. And yes, Ive lagered it with good results. But as Yooper stated, lagering isnt the same as fermenting.

I've fermented 2112 at 52F with great results for a schwarzbier. I did pitch a lager sized starter though.

Glad to hear it does well at low temps, what kind of beers did you all make? At those temps it's hardly a Cali common. Scharzbier sounds nice.

My Schwarbier was pitched at 50 degrees and stayed cold for a few weeks. Unfortunately it stalled out at 1.020 (OG 1.051). I hoped that bringing the carboy to room temp would finish it out and complete the diacetyl rest/cleanup but still stuck. Note this is Bohemian Lager (wyeast) not Cali lager strain. Should I just cold condition/lager and let it be sweet or is there a way to get it lower?

I used 2112 for an Oktoberfest and I fermented in the low 60's throughout its 3-week primary and month long secondary. Turned out awesome. Sounds like given the above posts 2112 is pretty darn flexible with its temperature range :)

Back