Lagering Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guinnessface

Reaction score
Brewmeisters-

I'm going for a second try at a straight up Helles. My first try was a partial mash that I fermented primary and secondary in my fridge at 35 degrees of so (for about 2 months total / WLP830). Despite a low OG (from poor brewing practice), it came out light, but with a good flavor...definitely drinkable.

For my second attempt, I'm going all grain. In an effort to free up some space in my fridge, I'm considering lagering in a carboy in my garage. Here's the catch: I'm in Mississippi. so the outside temp ranges from 20-55 on a regular basis. I'm pretty certain that the temp swing is less promounced in the garage

1. I assume that temperature swing will hurt the final product, true?
2. Would wrapping the carboy in the garage help stabilize the temp?
3. What would lagering at room temp (65-68) do to the taste?

I assume my safest bet would just be to lager in the fridge in the 30's, but I'd like to know if anyone has any good alternatives. Thanks in advance for any help you can lend.

Happy Holidays,

Guinnessface

Brewmeisters-

I'm going for a second try at a straight up Helles. My first try was a partial mash that I fermented primary and secondary in my fridge at 35 degrees of so (for about 2 months total / WLP830). Despite a low OG (from poor brewing practice), it came out light, but with a good flavor...definitely drinkable.

For my second attempt, I'm going all grain. In an effort to free up some space in my fridge, I'm considering lagering in a carboy in my garage. Here's the catch: I'm in Mississippi. so the outside temp ranges from 20-55 on a regular basis. I'm pretty certain that the temp swing is less promounced in the garage

1. I assume that temperature swing will hurt the final product, true?
2. Would wrapping the carboy in the garage help stabilize the temp?
3. What would lagering at room temp (65-68) do to the taste?

I assume my safest bet would just be to lager in the fridge in the 30's, but I'd like to know if anyone has any good alternatives. Thanks in advance for any help you can lend.

Happy Holidays,

Guinnessface

1. Probably.
2. Yes, or put it in a cooler or a bin and cover it with blankets, something to minimize temperature swings.
3. That's not lagering. That's just storing. Lagering is "cold storage". The colder, the better for a smoother lager. Lagering helps clear the beer, have excess tannins and other things fall out, and provide a smoother crisper taste. I lager at 34 degrees for each 8-10 points of OG. For most lagers, that's 6-10 weeks. If you're not going to lager the beer, it will be ok just not as smooth or as crisp as a lager.

Fermentation sounds like the biggest challenge for you, since lagers ferment at 50 degrees. Fridge temperatures are too cold for fermentation- I would think that most lager yeast wouldn't ferment at all in the fridge. If you were able to get it to happen for you, that's better than I would have thought so maybe your fridge is warmer than you think.

You can lager in a fridge without any problems, but generally not ferment.

If you're lucky you might be able to squeeze 48 degrees out of the fridge if you adjust the t-stat. Pitch a lot of yeast and ferment there. When fermentation slows you can pull it out and let it finish around 60 degrees. If you don't have a way to lager after primary fermentation people have claimed to have had good results going straight to bottles. After conditioning they'll put them in the fridge for several weeks to mimic lagering.

Gents-

Excellent points from you both, and most appreciated. If I don't try "mimic" lagering in bottles, I might try lagering in the garage. I assume the cement floor will hold a fairly steady temp range, so if I wrap the carboy in secondary like you suggested, it should keep the temp swings to a minimum. I should have a rough gamplan to work with now, thanks again!

Back