Quantcast

Lagering Temp Help!

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

sully20331

Reaction score
Brewed my first lager last friday (5days) and it has slowly started to ferment at a consistent temp of 60*F. Once it is done I plan on switching over to a secondary to 'lager' for a few weeks. Only issue is the fridge I had ready to go is now failing and wont be of any use. Would I still be able to get a decent lager if I cannot drop the 'lagering' temp down to the recommended 40-30*F??? As of now it will remain at 60*F. Is this a lost cause or what?

p.s. the yeast I pitched was Wyest Bavarian Lager 2206 for the Summer Pils.

Thanks for the help.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed my first lager last friday (5days) and it has slowly started to ferment at a consistent temp of 60*F. Once it is done I plan on switching over to a secondary to 'lager' for a few weeks. Only issue is the fridge I had ready to go is now failing and wont be of any use. Would I still be able to get a decent lager if I cannot drop the 'lagering' temp down to the recommended 40-30*F??? As of now it will remain at 60*F. Is this a lost cause or what?

p.s. the yeast I pitched was Wyest Bavarian Lager 2206 for the Summer Pils.

Thanks for the help.
Wow- 60 degrees is already pretty warm for that strain. I don't think any more harm will come to it by not lagering it, but I sure would have tried to ferment it cooler.

motlekj06

Reaction score
60 is too high for primary lager fermentation anyway, what you have now is a steam beer. I'd just let it go in the primary for 2-3 more weeks, bottle it and call it a California Common.

OP
sully20331

sully20331

Reaction score
Thanks guys- I can take a Steam beer, could be worse.