Lagering Temp Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sully20331

Reaction score
Brewed my first lager last friday (5days) and it has slowly started to ferment at a consistent temp of 60*F. Once it is done I plan on switching over to a secondary to 'lager' for a few weeks. Only issue is the fridge I had ready to go is now failing and wont be of any use. Would I still be able to get a decent lager if I cannot drop the 'lagering' temp down to the recommended 40-30*F??? As of now it will remain at 60*F. Is this a lost cause or what?

p.s. the yeast I pitched was Wyest Bavarian Lager 2206 for the Summer Pils.

Thanks for the help.

Brewed my first lager last friday (5days) and it has slowly started to ferment at a consistent temp of 60*F. Once it is done I plan on switching over to a secondary to 'lager' for a few weeks. Only issue is the fridge I had ready to go is now failing and wont be of any use. Would I still be able to get a decent lager if I cannot drop the 'lagering' temp down to the recommended 40-30*F??? As of now it will remain at 60*F. Is this a lost cause or what?

p.s. the yeast I pitched was Wyest Bavarian Lager 2206 for the Summer Pils.

Thanks for the help.

Wow- 60 degrees is already pretty warm for that strain. I don't think any more harm will come to it by not lagering it, but I sure would have tried to ferment it cooler.

60 is too high for primary lager fermentation anyway, what you have now is a steam beer. I'd just let it go in the primary for 2-3 more weeks, bottle it and call it a California Common.

Back