lagering process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

branman

Reaction score
I am new to lager brewing and cant seem to find to much info on it. I have a batch lagering now (2 weeks) and want to keg it but recipe calls for 40 days! Just curious as to whats the point.. what am I trying to acheve by doing this? Thanks for any help or clarification

the way I understand the reason for the 40 days is because of the lower temperatures, lager yeast work slower (ie cold blooded). Because of the lower temperatures there is a "cleaner" fermentation and less by products produced by the yeast.

scubasteve03 said:
the way I understand the reason for the 40 days is because of the lower temperatures, lager yeast work slower (ie cold blooded). Because of the lower temperatures there is a "cleaner" fermentation and less by products produced by the yeast.

Shouldn't you already be done fermenting if you lager? Maybe I am confused.

Lagering is a post-fermentation step. You ideally ferment in the yeast's happy range, say 50*, then when FG is reached (stable) you lower the temp to just above freezing for a significant period in order to clear the beer, thus making it very neutral from a yeast perspective, allowing the malt and hops to shine. It also obviously makes the beer appear more clear, which is desirable for most lager styles.

The lagering is to drop polyphenols (like tannins) out of the beer so you get a smoother, crisper finish to the beer. A lengthy lagering period isn't really necessary- but it gives a better result for many beers.

A rule of thumb (from Noonan) is to lager one week for every 8-10 points of OG. So, for a 1.040 lager, 4-5 weeks would be about right. For a 1.060, 6-8 weeks would be about right.

The closer you lager to freezing, the longer it takes to lager. But I really love the results of "colder, longer"- that is, at 34 degrees for the lower end of the lagering time, as I think it provides a better crisper end product. You can certainly lager at a higher temperature, for a shorter period of time but I don't think it's the same.

Warmer lagers faster? I always thought the colder it was the better it was... I suppose maybe "better" does not necessarily mean faster.

Yooper, you never fail to blow my mind.

Will it lager under co2 pressure (carbinated)? Or best to steady the coarse?

Ok, just got home to keg for further conditioning in the keg and took a sample.It has a vinegar'y smell is that normal?

Kind of stale (not cabinated), and kind vinegar taste as well would that be caused from bacteria? I sanitized with one step because I was out of star san but I've heard people using it as a sanitizer before

Been doin some reading on some forums (google), and im thinking though it has not been said for sure but I think I have an infection... im gonna throw it out :'(... thanx for all your help guys.

What a newbie mistake for a newb!!! So bummed right now

Whoa! Don't throw it out unless you know it is infected. What gives you that impression? Something it looks like or something it tastes like? Do you know what an infection tastes like?

Been doin some reading on some forums (google), and im thinking though it has not been said for sure but I think I have an infection... im gonna throw it out :'(... thanx for all your help guys.

What a newbie mistake for a newb!!! So bummed right now

I would not dump it, let it go for awhile. I have had some of the oddest and worst smells come out of my lagering fridge.

Back