Lagering in a Better Bottle??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickN72

Reaction score
I've got my second ale fermenting right now, but i'm thinking i want to start making some lagers too. I have a temperature controler on the way, but right now I don't have anything but a fermenting bucket and bottling bucket. So, i'm obviously going to need something new to lager in, but I didn't know if i can do that in a better bottle or if i need a glass carboy for it. I've been reading a lot about the benefits of the better bottle, but i haven't seen anyone talk about using it in lagering. I'd rather use a better bottle if it wont cause issues, but I can understand if glass is necessary.

I know I have to control the temp. I am going to be using a chest freezer with a controller. I just didn't know if the better bottles were good enough about oxygen permeability to keep beer for a couple months while lagering. I've read a lot of threads about them being fine for primary and secondary, but I haven't seen much mention about lagering. Thanks for the info.

I've already given you my opinion, but one thing I left out is that oxidation is typically more of a long term issue. Even if you do get some oxidation, it probably won't show up in the flavor in the time frame that you're going to be drinking your beer in. If you were talking about a dopplebock or something that you may store in the bottle for years, it would be more of an issue.

-D

I've already given you my opinion, but one thing I left out is that oxidation is typically more of a long term issue. Even if you do get some oxidation, it probably won't show up in the flavor in the time frame that you're going to be drinking your beer in. If you were talking about a dopplebock or something that you may store in the bottle for years, it would be more of an issue.

-D

It took me a second to figure out who the hell you were and where i had missed your opinion......:drunk:

I just figured i would see what some other people thought about them because I would rather use a better bottle from a cost and ease of handling stand point, but if its not right i'd go glass.

Latest posts

Back