lagering help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brounds24

Reaction score
My lager is done fermenting and the di-rest is finishing up. What is the next step to my lager. Is it bottle then lager for 2+ months or lager than bottle.

Are you asking whether or not you should lager in a secondary or just lager in the bottle?

i am a complete newb when it comes to lagering but I thought it was just referring to keeping the temperatures in a certain range while fermenting/conditioning which could be done in a bottle.

whether or not you go to a secondary would just be based around how clear you want your beer and how quickly you want to be able to drink it.

again, I am a newb but this is what sense I can make out of everything

I need to know whether or not to lager in a secondary or if i should bottle and lager in the bottle. I want the beer clear, so i should lager in a secondary, rack, then bottle?

Are you asking whether or not you should lager in a secondary or just lager in the bottle?

i am a complete newb when it comes to lagering but I thought it was just referring to keeping the temperatures in a certain range while fermenting/conditioning which could be done in a bottle.

whether or not you go to a secondary would just be based around how clear you want your beer and how quickly you want to be able to drink it.

again, I am a newb but this is what sense I can make out of everything

If you bottled it and then lagered, it wouldn't carbonate. You would have to let it carbonate all the way and then lager. I'm sure there's people that do this, but personally I don't know anyone that has. Bulk conditioning is always better though.

Crash cool it, move it to a secondary (I lager in kegs), then keep it at like 32º for a few weeks/months. General rule of thumb is 1 week per 10 gravity points (5 weeks for 1.050, 6 for 1.060, etc.).

So im conditioning it a secondary. Im lower the temp slowly to 33 in a kegerator. My ogre was 1.062 my final was 1.014. so lager a min of 6 weeks

Back