Lagering & Bottle Conditioning California Common Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FunkyMunk

Reaction score
I have a California Common fermented with Imperial Cable Car Yeast (California Common Lager yeast) that is ready to transfer to secondary for lagering. I plan to rack off the yeast to a carboy, then lager around 50 F for around 3 weeks (same as Anchor Steam), then cold crash and gelatin fine before bottling. Should I add new yeast before bottling? Will there still be enough in suspension after lagering, cold crashing, and fining? Will it help to carb up faster if I add yeast?

I carb to around 2.8 volumes after using gelatin. Takes a week or 2 longer but it carbs up fine.

Ok, thanks. Actually, I'm still seeing airlock activity nearly 2 weeks after pitching the yeast. Gravity was 1.015 a few days ago, temps have been pretty much 58-62 all along. I'd like to submit this to a competition, and the deadline for submissions is about 5 weeks from now. Am I better off skipping the lagering period and going straight to bottling? Should I give it more time, some lagering, then force carb and bottle from a keg?

Last edited:
I have found that my cali commons come out best with a short and cold (around 35F) for about 2 weeks
Would gelatin be necessary after a brief lagering period like this? If I do this I will most likely rack to a carboy, as my primary bucket doesn't fit as well in my fridge, so it may be pretty clear on its own, just wondering if it's worth trying to get it even more clear.

Would gelatin be necessary after a brief lagering period like this? If I do this I will most likely rack to a carboy, as my primary bucket doesn't fit as well in my fridge, so it may be pretty clear on its own, just wondering if it's worth trying to get it even more clear.

I dont usually use gelatin in a cali common but it wouldnt hurt. I dont think it is necessary at all.

Finally got around to racking this to a carboy and putting it in the fridge, unfortunately the temps will fluctuate but it should stay mostly below 40. It sat undisturbed at around 58 +/- 2 for about 3 weeks of primary, the yeast later was super compact, and the beer looked really clean and clear-ish. I have 4 weeks until the deadline for this competition, so I may just "lager" for a week then bottle... Think this will be ok or would I be better off doing something else?

Right on, good to know. I'm still learning the basics of making lagers, but I've also really enjoyed how super-clear the California commons I've tried were. The carboy in the fridge is pretty hazy, I'm guessing chill haze, although there does appear to be yeast sediment forming. I may try gelatin anyway, just out of curiosity.

Back