Lager Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbmay98

Reaction score
A question for all of you. I am going to be brewing an Oktoberfest tomorrow afternoon but I did not get my kit until today. It is a Wyeast Smack Pack. Should I do a 2000ml starter tonight and let it sit for a day at room temp. I would then pitch tomorrow by cooling both the worst and yeast to 50 degree's? Is it worth doing a starter for one day? Should I still let the yeast starter ferment at 50 degrees over night tonight? Any advice is appreciated.

I realize I will probably have to pitch the entire starter if I leave it out since the yeast will still be in the liquid and not at the bottom.

IMO it is too late for a starter. I would get a second package of yeast and pitch both packages instead of making a starter.

I would go with 3 packets and make sure you aerate very well! You want to hit at least 8 to 10 ppm. If you can inject oxygen for a 60 second burst that is best! A combination of a strong yeast pitch and great aeration is key to a great lager fermentation! Just shaking the pale or carboy is only going to give you 2 to 5 ppm.

For a lager with a starting gravity in the mid 50s I would make a half gal starter with 2 packs MINIMUM. If you have to brew tomorrow, get another 2 smack packs. If you can't get them in time, you should seriously consider putting off brewing until you can grow an appropriate amount of yeast with the one smack pack you have.

Trust me, you will not be happy with the resulting beer if you pitch one smack pack into a lager. If you don't have the proper amountof yeast, you're better off not brewing and waiting until you do.

since it looks like it is not possible to brew tomorrow. Would brewing Sunday be enough time for a starter or should I scrap it for next weekend? If I should, which day should I make the starter on and should I lager the yeast starter?

Back