Lager Yeast: Starter + Smack Pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
Picked up a Wyeast American Lager smack pack yesterday from the LHBS that was from Dec 15, 2014. Even with a starter, yeastcalc.com says I'm only going to be ~140b cells (need 350b). If I were to dump this starter plus an additional smack pack (lets assume it's a newer one, from the last month or so) will I be ok? It'll get to around 240b cells total.

There won't be any off flavors produced from mixing the two yeasts, right?

Mixing two yeasts from the same strain is not a problem.

Underpitching lagers is dicey, but while not ideal, most likely you will just have a 3 day lag time, and the beer will come out ok. I always think with lagers its good to make a 1.040 lager first, and then harvest yeast from the bottom for 4 or 5 generations. Its easier to make a large enough starter for a 1.040 and after that you will have more than enough yeast for additional batches.

Step it up, I usually have to do at least 2 stages for lagers

I made this starter last night and plan on pitching on Sunday afternoon. Think I have time to step it up?

This is my first lager, so I don't have anything to harvest from at this point.

I made this starter last night and plan on pitching on Sunday afternoon. Think I have time to step it up?

This is my first lager, so I don't have anything to harvest from at this point.

yeah, use a growler and make 1700ml of wort, then add 300ml from the current starter into it (use a growler even)

Then you can crash both starting Saturday and decant-pitch Sunday.

This is not ideal, but should get you closer to the needed cell count by Sunday.

yeah, use a growler and make 1700ml of wort, then add 300ml from the current starter into it (use a growler even)

Then you can crash both starting Saturday and decant-pitch Sunday.

This is not ideal, but should get you closer to the needed cell count by Sunday.

Thanks, this just might have to work.

As far as timing goes, should I do this tonight or wait until tomorrow after the first starter has a chance to produce more yeasties?

Back