lager yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmythefoot

Reaction score
so thinking of trying to do a lager. i have no way of controlling the temp to be stable in a small range. i live in western washington. average temp here now is mid to high 40's during the day low 40's to mid 30's overnight. do you think i could get away with just having the bucket out in the garage at those temps? i could get a space heater but the garage is not insulated and so i don't know how well it would stabilize the inside temperature. i also could cover the bucket with a fleece blanket.

what do ya all think?
doable

Ah, a local brewer, hola...

It wouldn't be ideal, but given the weather this week is supposed to hold pretty steady averaging in the mid 40's and your garage will be a little warmer I would say you can get away with it. It will be warmer closer to the house wall so that might be a good place, use the blanket like you said to help balance the temp. So, if you brew this weekend you will probably be alright as the main portion of active fermentation will be done before temperatures get into the unknown forecast range.

Back