Lager Yeast Pitching Temp (Frustration)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
I have read, read and read some more on this lager yeast pitching temperature subject. The unfortunate part is that there are wayyy too many variables on the subject with no crystal clear conclusion.

One major point is consistent being that high yeast cell count from a large starter is required. Good that is settled.

Getting to the nitty gritty, do I pitch room temp starter in wort 68F, let it start multiplying before the temp drop? Or do I drop temps on both, pitch and then all is well in the yeast world?

If dropping both to 50F (ish) is suggested, should I put the lid and airlock on the FV, place FV and flask with yeast starter in my temp controlled freezer until they get to ferm temps, and then pitch?

I have a feeling this is a can of worms, but if one method is more proven to be successful than the other, now is the time for me to do it correctly. I believe the easy way is not always the best way.....so I am truly looking for the best way. THANKS!!

I typically will build my starter at room temp and then cool to ferment temps so the yeast drops out and decant liquid off the yeast.
I will cool the wort to a couple degrees below my fermentation temp, oxygenate and then pitch the yeast.

When I use dry lager yeast, I will do the same only rehydrate as instructed and then pitch to the wort.

I basically do the same as BF. My first lager was ok but not great, not as clean as I would like, so on my second, which came out fantastic, I followed Jamil's advice - pitch low and then raise it up to the 50F fermentation temp.

I like mostly lagers and have went through all variations of your dilema. What I have evolved into doing is.....cool to lower 60s and then transfer wort onto the yeast cake from the last batch, then cool to 50ish. The yeast is key, i have made starters and even made step up starters.... seems like you cant get enough yeast for a lager!!!

On my last lager I cooled my wort to 70, oxygenate then pitch my room temp yeast. Sealed it up and into the ferm chamber. About 14 hours later once fermentation had begun I started dropping the temp to my desired lager fermentation temp, in that case 53*
After a week took a gravity reading and it was close to complete so ramped temp back up to 65* for a few days then dropped back down to 36* to lager.
I recommend a "S" type airlock since they work both ways with the temp swings.
Best of luck:mug:

Latest posts

Back