Lager yeast fermentation speed at ale temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diverpat

Reaction score
I'm curious about the speed at which a lager yeast will ferment at warmer temps. I've got a basterdized 1554 clone in the fermenter. The recipe calls for a Bohemian Lager yeast fermented at 65f. I only had access to Saflager 34/70 dry yeast so I used 1 pack of that. The hydrated yeast looked good and I oxygenated with pure O2 for 2 mins prior to snapping down the lid. My OG was 1.056 now 48hrs later it has crawled down to 1.050. This is a wee bit slower than ale brews I've done in the past.

What should I be seeing with regards to speed of fermentation? I realize I still have a while to go but I'm curious about how fast a lager yeast will drive down the SG at 64-65f.

Lagers, in my experience, tend to ferment slower, I wouldnt worry about it, just keep an eye on it. Its only 2 days in......

Lagers, in my experience, tend to ferment slower, I wouldnt worry about it, just keep an eye on it. Its only 2 days in......

I am lagering for the first time too

Say my average ale in done in 3-5 days, should I figure 5-7 for a CA Common style( I am using San Francisco Lager yeast)

I was thinking that the warm temps would speed things up. I'll start worrying in another 48hrs.

I am lagering for the first time too

Say my average ale in done in 3-5 days, should I figure 5-7 for a CA Common style( I am using San Francisco Lager yeast)

I find it hard to believe your ale is done in 3-5 days......never heard of any ale being completely done in 5 days.

As for 5-7 with a lager, perhaps 7 days, I would say more like 10. But then you need to diactyl rest it which is bring it back up to 60-64 degrees for 48 hrs before crashing it out and lagering it. More info below......

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter10.html

My beer is down to 1.040 after 96+ hours, after an OG of 1.056. It is taking its sweet ass time fermenting but it is going down still.

Back