Lager yeast 40 vs 50 degs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrutalBrew

Reaction score
I just brewed my first lager. Its a high gravity Oktoberfest (8.4) . I have done a lot of research and one thing that has me wondering is the difference in opinions on primary at 40-45 degs and 50-55 degs. I understand lagering AFTER primary. But this is confusing me. Anyone care to share some knowledge with me?

A quick reply before more experienced guys chime in, but mainly I think the temperature is based on what works well for that particular yeast. Generally the higher the temp, the more flavors are going to be developed, this is good in ales, etc, but bad if looking for a super clean tasting beer. But specifically you need to look at what yeast you are using, and its recommended range, thats a great place to start.

I think 40F is about the lowest you can ferment beer.

John

the yeast will have a stated temperature range, stay in that range. usually 48 is about as low as people go. 48-52 is most typical.

Back