Lager under-attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guldalian

Reaction score
Question regarding lager attenuation. These were my 1st attempts at lager styles. Made a Vienna and a Munich Dunkel using 2308 Munich Lager yeast for both. Had a tough time getting these to attenuate fully. I usually get higher than normal attenuation on my ales.

Vienna was OG 1.054, FG 1.014. Mashed at 148 and 158 30 min each. All Vienna malt with some dark Munich and Carafa.

Munich was OG 1.052, FG 1.016. Mashed 60 min @ 152. All Munich malt with some melanoidin and Carafa.

Fermentation was same for both. 9 days primary at 50, ramp up to 60 and hold (11 days total for ramp and D-rest). Used tons of yeast in both.

Any thoughts from the lager pros out there?

I think it's the carafa. I used it in a couple dark lagers recently and neither of them went below 1.017. In 5 years of brewing ales and lagers I've never had one die out that high unless I was doing it on purpose. In my schwarzbier (stopped at 1.021), I used about 9% carafa special III and in a Christmas lager (stopped at 1.017) I used about 6% carafa special II & III. Given that I don't really like the flavor that Carafa imparts, and the fact that it seems to kill my fermentations, I think i'm done with it.

Back