Lager Starter help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

depper

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning on brewing an Oktoberfest on Sunday and using WLP 820 Oktoberfest yeast. Based on Mr. Malty and BeerSmith it looks like I need to produce a 2.7-2.9L starter for this batch. I have a 2L flask that I think will still work for this amount. My plan is this (only because I won't get my yeast until Thursday):

1) Make a 2.9L starter on Thursday evening and let it sit on a stir plate
2) Let it stir until Friday evening (24 hours) and then throw it in the fridge to cold crash
3) Cold crash for 24-36 hours and then raise the temp to around 50 to get it close to pitching temp
4) Decant the liquid and pour in the slurry when the wort is completed

Any recommendations to what I have planned? Is spinning the starter for 24 hours a sufficient amount of time? Should I cold crash to 50 degrees or cold crash to around 40 and then bring it up to 50 before pitching?

Thanks for all the advice!

Tim

1. I'd check the total volume of your 2L flask. It may look like there's a lot of space above the 2L mark, but if it's anything like mine there isn't. 2.5L is the max I'll do. See the attached pic. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1456885266.210111.jpg Not saying that's a deal breaker, just something to be aware of.

2. I'd be inclined to make the starter tonight or tomorrow night. Let it go for 18 hours or so, then put in the fridge.

3. My fridge is something a bit below 40, that's what I'd shoot for, normal refrigerator temps. 50 is a bit warm. That's a lager yeasts fermentation temperature. I've always been told if they're kept at temperature, they'll eat into their energy reserves to stay alive. You want them to sort of 'go to sleep'. Someone can correct me if I'm out to lunch.

Last, I hate to be that guy, that answers a question by saying you should go in a completely different direction, but to ensure that I'm pitching plenty of yeast, I usually use 2 or 3 packs of dry yeast rather than liquid for lager fermentation.

1. I'd check the total volume of your 2L flask. It may look like there's a lot of space above the 2L mark, but if it's anything like mine there isn't. 2.5L is the max I'll do. See the attached pic. View attachment 341057 Not saying that's a deal breaker, just something to be aware of.

2. I'd be inclined to make the starter tonight or tomorrow night. Let it go for 18 hours or so, then put in the fridge.

3. My fridge is something a bit below 40, that's what I'd shoot for, normal refrigerator temps. 50 is a bit warm. That's a lager yeasts fermentation temperature. I've always been told if they're kept at temperature, they'll eat into their energy reserves to stay alive. You want them to sort of 'go to sleep'. Someone can correct me if I'm out to lunch.

Last, I hate to be that guy, that answers a question by saying you should go in a completely different direction, but to ensure that I'm pitching plenty of yeast, I usually use 2 or 3 packs of dry yeast rather than liquid for lager fermentation.

Thank you so much for the reply. That does shock me how there really isn't much space left in a 2L flask. I will look for a 5L one now. Great advice on the cold crashing....I will be sure to keep in near 40 or a little below as to let the yeasties rest before their work. I'm still going to go with liquid yeast for this one, since I already purchased the yeast. If I'm not happy with the results then I'll do the dry yeast next time. Thanks again for the help!

Tim

I recently did my first two lagers and had great success using two packs of 34/70. (I also only have a 2L flask.)

Latest posts

Back