Lager, slow fermentation issues.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel4616

Reaction score
Brewed an octoberfest last weekend on Sunday. Boil and everything went well, made a yeast starter: 1.1 gallons starter at ~1.030 OG for starter. The yeast however was shipped without an ice pack, and came from Minn. to South Florida. I got the White Lab vial of Southern German yeast 838(?). Starter showed very little activity, since this was my first time make one, I put it in a 2.5gallon fermenting bucket so I could not see if the yeast was growing on the bottom. Anyways, cooled wort to fermentation temps overnight, and let yeast go 2 day, cold crashed, decanted, saw the grayish slurry on bottom, swirled and pitched. I aerated the wort a good 30-45 mins before pitching yeast with stone.

It has been 2 days (on the 3rd today) since yeast was pitched, and the activity is very minimal on the airlock. Sometimes I look and its going every 10-25 seconds, other times I look and it seems to not be moving. I am worried the yeast was non viable. I have a pack of dry lager yeast I can pitch, but what would you guys do? I wanted to do a diacetyl rest maybe next monday, for two days then start lagering. At this rate, I dont know if id be 50% done with fermentation... Is this normal for this yeast, or is something up? Fermentation temp is set to 48, is this too low? Any help would be great.

White Labs lists the optimum temp on that yeast at 50-55. Are you using a thermowell or do you just have your temperature probe sitting somewhere in the fermentation chamber? If it's a Thermowell, you could bump up to 50. Otherwise, it's probably already 50-52 in there if you are set at 48.

I've never really had much airlock activity out of any lager. Have you taken a gravity reading?

Yes 30-45 mins. And yes it is on a temp probe. My last lager had airlock activity much more frequent than this one. It was a dry Saflager yeast however. This is my first liquid yeast brew, and attempt at a starter.

Yes 30-45 mins. And yes it is on a temp probe. My last lager had airlock activity much more frequent than this one. It was a dry Saflager yeast however. This is my first liquid yeast brew, and attempt at a starter.

Since lager yeast are bottom fermenting, you may not see much krausen or airlock activity. Try to not think about it- it'll be fine!

I think your airlock going every 15 seconds is more than enough assurance to even consider slightly worrying about it. Its a lager cold=slow.Like an old man trying to walk 10 miles in a blizzard. Except its yeast not an old man and its not a blizzard its beer.. uhh. and stuff.

Latest posts

Back