Lager Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gresc

Reaction score
Hi, I have a lager in my primary for 19 days now; this seems like plenty of time for the beer to reach it's target gravity, though this is my first lager so I'm not sure.
OG was 1.050. I used Wyeast Bavarian Lager. I had to ferment at a slightly lower temp than what was reccomended ; 44f and they suggest 47f to 52f.
I took a FG reading and I'm at 1.024 I should be around 1.012. It's still bubbling, though it's slow.

So, do I let it go or should I warm it for a diacetyl rest, take another reading, pray I hit my Fg and then lager.

You are only at 52% attenuation. The temperature is too low for the yeast and that means a much longer ferment than normal. Warm it up to the recommended range, if at all possible & wait until you get close to the target gravity.

When lagering, have you had the best results (flavor) achieving your FG in the primary then rack to secondary to lager?

Yes, you really should be really at fg before you rack. This also helps clean up all the diacetyl flavors, and any other off-flavors made by the yeast. If I need to do a diacetyl rest (sometimes lagers don't even need them), then I do the d-rest when the beer is at or very near fg. Then rack and begin the lagering. Racking too soon will stall the fermentation even more.

I know that some (I think TexLaw was one) said they can do the d-rest after, but I like to do it while I still have it on the big yeast cake.

ok that's what I thought; let it go a bit more.
But have I done any damage, 20 days in a primary at colder than normal temps ; I'm wondering if the yeast can pull this off ; though I'm bubbling every 10 seconds so we're still active.

Back