Lager ferment question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcolson

Reaction score
I am making my first Lage and i used wyeast 2206 Bavarian i pitched it on friday it is now monday the airlock started bubbling around 12 hours after i pitched it but an a very low rate is this normal? if it is not what can i do to fix this problem. i did not use a starter this time. thank you

Patrick

I find that lagers do bubble slower then ales though. The temp is normally quite a bit cooler then ales so it ferments slower. Most of my ales are done in a week, lagers can take 2weeks +. Since your airlock was working after 12hours I wouldn't worry at all.

ok that relieves me i thought i had done something awful and messed up my first Lager. is it the temp that does that? lower temp slower yeast? sorry im new to this whole game ive made a few ales but this is my first lager. :)

ok that relieves me i thought i had done something awful and messed up my first Lager. is it the temp that does that? lower temp slower yeast? sorry im new to this whole game ive made a few ales but this is my first lager. :)

Yes, it's the lower temperature that really causes some slower fermentations. Still, lager yeast needs to ferment at about 50 degrees, and will do its job if you give it enough time. Even ale yeasts will go faster at a higher temperature, but better tasting beer comes from more moderate temperatures. You're on the right track- just be patient!

Back