Lager brew Yeast substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T8rAleKing

Reaction score
I am wanting to brew a Pils Urquell clone lager but I don't have a way to drop the ferment temp down to 48-56 degrees...my brew closet runs 64-68 degrees as my ales have been turning out great at this temp.

Question is: what type of yeast can I substitute in this Pils brew that will work for a lager at 65-68 temps?

Thanks in advance.

I use California lager yeast for my Octoberfest ale. I don't have a fermentation chamber yet either.

It works pretty well but it's still not a true lager.

Thanks foos-n-brew...I will check my lhbs for that.

I also found this in researching: Nottingham Ale Yeast
The Nottingham strain was selected for its highly flocculant & relatively full attenuation properties. It produces low concentrations of fruity and estery aromas and has been described as neutral for ale yeast, allowing the full natural flavor of malt & hops to develop.

The recommended fermentation temperature range of this strain is 14° to 21°C (57° to 70°F) with good tolerance to low fermentation temperatures (12°C/54°F) that allow this strain to be used in lager-style beer. With a relatively high alcohol tolerance, Nottingham is a great choice for creation of higher-alcohol specialty beers!

Any input?

I haven't used dry yeast since I went to all grain a couple of years back so I can't really comment on that.

I went to the liquid yeasts to use with starters. You can do that with dry yeasts also it's just that a lot of the recipes I use reference the liquid types.

I would give it a try with the dry yeast or perhaps even better split your batch in two and use a dry yeast in one and the California ale yeast in the other. Then you can compare the two outcomes side by side and see what you like best.

Try german ale kolsch yeast wlp029. i have gotten some great brews from that yeast.

Agree on a Kolsch yeast. If you ferment in the bottom of their temp ranges, you get a really clean lager like beer. Higher temps give a little more fruity with some vinous qualities. WY 2656 should be fermented 55-56F, and WLP029 should be fermented 61-62F. You might have to use a swamp cooler and swap 3 or 4 frozen water bottles to drop her a few degrees, but it should give you as close of lager profile as you can get without actually using one.

Brew something else until you can control your temps cold enough. It just will not be the beer you are wanting at warmer temps. Did it once, wasn't very good.

Try german ale kolsch yeast wlp029. i have gotten some great brews from that yeast.
He'll get to many esters with that yeast, especially at those temps.
Brew something else until you can control your temps cold enough. It just will not be the beer you are wanting at warmer temps. Did it once, wasn't very good.

x2

He'll get to many esters with that yeast, especially at those temps.

Yeah its true. i have only ferment with that yeast at around 57-62. But i have done it in a swap cooler with frozen water bottles. and it turn out great and doesn't take up to much space. Or you can do a blonde ale using US-05 ferment it at 68 and still get a damn good beer!!

Back