lager beer with ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kendo2gz

Reaction score
so i live in an area where warm temps and would like to make an Oktoberfest style beer i was told that i could use an ale yeast and it would taste pretty good, obviously not as well. i plan on using an extract and specialty grain kit with a liquid german ale yeast is this gonna be ok

also i need to know if i need more yeast as i will be using Wyeast 1007 German Ale 100 billion yeast sells per activator

Probably won't be as clear or as crisp as if you had used Ale Yeast. What temp are we talking about?

what original gravity are you shooting for? i would guess that yes, you will need to make a starter. especially if you want a clean ferment and lager-like characteristics. if you ferment warm and underpitch, it will be much more ale-like.

Lager yeast ferments the sugar raffinose, which ale yeast doesn't... you'll get beer, it just won't be lager...

well i guess ill have to get a refridge that i can put my fermemnter in then cuse i do like ale but im more of a loger fan but temps get to like 58-70 around here so im pretty much stuck with ale...........and i was hopin for an OG of 1050. does anyone know of a good lager yeast that fermemnts between said temps if so whee can i find it

well i guess ill have to get a refridge that i can put my fermemnter in then cuse i do like ale but im more of a loger fan but temps get to like 58-70 around here so im pretty much stuck with ale...........and i was hopin for an OG of 1050. does anyone know of a good lager yeast that fermemnts between said temps if so whee can i find it

Yep. Try California Common or Steam Beer Lager Yeast.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_styledetails.cfm?ID=143

going to be more estery, but it's still technically a lager yeast. Try it out.

I have made several batches with WLP029/Kolsch yeast. It does well in the upper 60's, prefers the lower 60's but still good. Kind of like a lager taste w/ale yeast!!
I do recommend a starter though.
good luck

you can also use a clean fermenting ale yeast like nottingham, us-05, 1056, or even wlp001. ive used nottingham to ferment my cream ale and i kept it around 59 the whole time and its probably one of the cleanest ales i have ever drank in my life, my friends that brew were "amazed" that i brewed a lagerlike beer without lagering it.

hey thx guys some time i wish i lived in the optimal conditions to lager properly but im doin what i can i guess a refrige for lagering is a must ...........spendy but nessassary

you can also use a clean fermenting ale yeast like nottingham, us-05, 1056, or even wlp001. ive used nottingham to ferment my cream ale and i kept it around 59 the whole time and its probably one of the cleanest ales i have ever drank in my life, my friends that brew were "amazed" that i brewed a lagerlike beer without lagering it.

Never thought about using Notty for lower temp ales. If using lower temps for fermenting would it be a good idea to pitch two packets of dry yeast?

i don't think you need two packets, but FWIW, i get a really odd flavor from notty at low temps (i know a lot of people get great results with it), i prefer what US-05 or better yet, 1056 give you.

Never thought about using Notty for lower temp ales. If using lower temps for fermenting would it be a good idea to pitch two packets of dry yeast?

you wont need 2 packets, theres a ton of yeast in one of those packets, just dont freak out when fermentation takes a while to start off. when i did my cream ale it took the notty 2 days to show any signs of fermentation but again the extra time it took to ferment was well worth how clean tasting and crisp it came out.

I would recommend do an extended primary of at least 3-4 weeks as the yeast will benefit from the extra time on the cake to clean up after themselves.:tank:

hey thx guys some time i wish i lived in the optimal conditions to lager properly but im doin what i can i guess a refrige for lagering is a must ...........spendy but nessassary

Check craigslist in your area. In my area, I see at least 1 old fridge a week that people are giving away for free if you are willing to haul. Typically it's a perfectly good fridge, just not pretty to look at.

Also look into Rogue's pacman yeast. You can get it from the bottles if you want. I did this for a Maibock, and it was great!

Latest posts

Back