Lacto Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkm

Reaction score
I'm trying to breed up some lacto in apple juice, I don't want to spend too much money on equipment, so I'm having trouble keeping it warm. It's been 4 days and I'm not getting much growth or sourness. I've been warming it up to 100 F once or twice a day, but that doesn't seem like enough.

Are there any cheap warmers out there?

Do you think I got some apple juice that has preservatives in it? The label did not have any listed.

Does this just need more time?

image-2366939960.jpg

Your sink plus hot water. You only need to keep it in the 85-120 range. Your hot water heater should be pumping out water at those temps. I usually scoop out some of the water and microwave it and add it back to the sink to heat the rest.

ReverseApacheMaster said:
Your sink plus hot water. You only need to keep it in the 85-120 range. Your hot water heater should be pumping out water at those temps. I usually scoop out some of the water and microwave it and add it back to the sink to heat the rest.

Oh yeah, the volume in a sink would maintain temperature much longer than the bowl I have been using, thanks!

I put my lacto starter in the window sill where it gets sun almost all day, took almost 2 weeks, but it is now now and sour, waiting to head into a Belgian Wit w Wyeast Forbidden Fruit and Bing Cherries.. I am a noob in the microbes area, but from what i can gleam, Lacto takes time, especially if it is not constantly at warmer temps.

Anything I brew that needs elevated temperatures I set on top of my water heater. In the tiny closet in which it resides I get pretty solid 80 F and find that works. As mentioned above it does take a little time so be patient.

:mug:

If that lacto is coming off grain it should take off within 24 hours at warmer temperatures, maybe 48 hours at most. If you have picked up lacto from some other source, such as yogurt or those lactobacillus supplements, it can take much, much longer; even as much as a week.

ReverseApacheMaster said:
If that lacto is coming off grain it should take off within 24 hours at warmer temperatures, maybe 48 hours at most. If you have picked up lacto from some other source, such as yogurt or those lactobacillus supplements, it can take much, much longer; even as much as a week.

Good to know. I used a WYeast pack of lacto. Expected good results, WYeast is usually great, so I'm pretty sure it's temp related.

Why not use a $10 heat pad? That with a blanket would be an easy way to keep it at the right temperature.

weremichael said:
Why not use a $10 heat pad? That with a blanket would be an easy way to keep it at the right temperature.

I ink I do need to "invest" in one of those, but for now I have it in a cupboard with a temp controlled space heater. That should help.

I didn't realize that you already have temp controlled space heater. Why not just use a fermwrap with your temp. controller? That is what I use in a fermentation chamber and can hold lacto at 100F for a few days.

As far as heat pad, I would think any would work. The key is to get the correct amount of time on/off to keep it regulated.

Latest posts

Back