La Trappe Quad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloud Surfer

Reaction score
I haven’t been able to find too many recipes for this beer. The brewery website states they use Pale, Munich, Caramel and Roast. I’ve not seen a recipe remotely resembling that. Anyway I’ve come up with something I think will work. The basic recipe for 22L into the fermenter looks like this.

Maris Otter 5.8kg / 67.1%
D90 Candi Syrup 1.35kg / 15.6%
Light Munich 1kg / 11.6%
Caramunich II 0.5kg / 5.8%

Saaz 50g / 22IBU
Wyeast 3787

Mash-in 66C for 60 minutes
Mash-out 77C for 10 minutes
60 minute boil

OG 1.088
FG 1.012
ABV 10.0%

I don’t have any Belgian Pale, but I have bulk Maris Otter on hand so I thought it would be close enough. What does everyone think of my plan?

If you have acces to La Trappe Dubbel, you could try to cultivate the yeast from the bottle dregs. They use the same yeast for bottling as for primary fermentation.

My .02 is swap out the D-90 for D-180 and add 150g to 300g of Special B or C-120. That will give the dark and stone fruit the style requires.
I’ve used all the Candi Syrup’s, and the D180 in my Rochefort 10 and Imperial Stout beers. Good suggestion, but I think I will stick with the D90. The Special B or C-120 is a good idea I’ll think about.

If you have acces to La Trappe Dubbel, you could try to cultivate the yeast from the bottle dregs. They use the same yeast for bottling as for primary fermentation.
I had trouble finding where La Trappe source their yeast. Seems a lot of people use Wyeast 3787 for their La Trappe clones. I have the 3787 on hand already so I’ll just stick with it this time.

I had trouble finding where La Trappe source their yeast. Seems a lot of people use Wyeast 3787 for their La Trappe clones. I have the 3787 on hand already so I’ll just stick with it this time.
I don't think the La Trappe yeast is commercially available anywhere. I checked the Dutch and Belgium brew forums and most people there think Wyeast 1214 (the Chimay yeast) comes closest to the Trappe yeast. But I'm sure the 3787 will give you a great Quad as well!

Back