Kyrgyz beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myerstyson

Reaction score
So, I found these guys growing wild right by my house here in Bishkek.
11401331_10206912862325214_8740728546264176563_n.jpg

They smell great, so I picked some.

And that got me thinking. I've already made a Golden Ale using 2lbs of great Kyrgyz honey. I wonder if I should search out some grain here and make an all Kyrgyz beer.

I have a one gallon kit I haven't done yet...point being I have all the stuff for one gallon of AG beer. Maybe I can experiment with some grains here and see what it makes.

Now, I have to figure out how to find the grains, how to ask for the right stuff in Russian, and then figure out how to do an all-grain brew. Ideas?

There are lots of websites that will ship ingredients, I'm assuming all over the world. However, I do not know if they ship to Kyrgyzstan or not.

Do you have any idea what kind of hops they are? That's pretty awesome that they just grow wild like that.

There are lots of websites that will ship ingredients, I'm assuming all over the world. However, I do not know if they ship to Kyrgyzstan or not.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I want to use local grains.

Do you have any idea what kind of hops they are? That's pretty awesome that they just grow wild like that.

No idea what kind of hops. They smell "bitter" when crushed, but otherwise just smell like fresh cut grass.

Locally grown and malted barley, or other malted grains may not be available, but unmalted grains are available almost anywhere. Home mallting on that small scale might be an interesting addition to the project. One should be able to buy barley or wheat from an animal feed store, or from a local farmer.... it's not the season for people to have a lot of grain around right now. Not harvest yet, but after planting, but the local elevator or feed store should have something....... There are plenty of UTube videos on doing this, and it's pretty simple.

H.W.

Latest posts

Back